A couple weeks ago I went to look at a ford 555c for sale. seemed clean not abused. hr meter had been changed estimated 5k hrs. Looked like less hours than that to my non-backhoe trained eye. Any way its still for sale and gnawing at me. What are common probs.with this model? Does it have the same internal brakes like cat and nh where you have to rebuild the rear to change brakes( that could be a deal breaker)? Are they good starting in cold? Any other issues?? Thanks , Taggmann
i ran one for 16 years and it was a great machine for its size.very reliable and a good starter.now had a case 590sle for 8 years and hope to upgrade to a 3cx contractor or a lb110 new holland in the new year nick........
Thanks for the opine nick. just thought of one more question. how hard to add aux. hyd. remote each end? Thanks
My experience with triple nickel Fords is that they make excellent boat anchors. Problems include constant and never ending hydraulic leaks, fuel systems problems (injectors, injection pumps), steering system problems, and very poor brakes. Sorry to be so negative, but you really are better off with a Deere, Case, or a Cat.
Thanks surfer-joe, do they have the same rear as a cat , internal breaks? (pun)
taggman.dont really know how hard it is to add auxillary services.probably another slice in the valve block id assume.cant agree with any comments above.my machine was very reliable with good brakes and no oil leaks. nick
Geez Joe, as the saying goes, "honesty is the best policy" may be virtuous, but your assessment of the Ford loader/hoe is a little on the edge of honesty. You did preface your comments with "my experience", and I can't argue you may have had negative experience with them, but you make it sound like you have a lot full of junk Ford machines. I myself am not a fan of the Ford loader/hoes, but for different reasons, being, they are not all that mechanic friendly to work on compared to other makes. But I would not say that makes them a bad machine, just not my favorite to work on. My experience with Ford loader/hoes is they are as durable and reliable as any other make. No quirks I'm aware of that would make them less desirable than any other brand. Just my opinion. But I must humbly yield and allow you to retain your experience with them. As for taggmann having reservations about internal brakes being a deal breaker, then that would discount purchasing a number of brands of loader/hoe, as that is what most brands use.
Atco makes a good point about the brakes, it's just as i have been looking and investigating different machines I came across a tread featuring cat internal brakes and having to rebuild the entire final drive to replace them at about 5k hrs. ,and great expense, which happens to be around my purchase point. Cat used NH finals so i assume the 1990 ford has the same rear? I also noticed the integral motor/frame means split instead of pull when it comes to motor or shuttle ect.. That's another reason why I am asking about reliability because it would be harder to work on. Is adding a remote a major expense? I guess i am trying to avoid the infamous " OH ! you got one of THEM!" Thanks; john
Your putting some good thinking into your purchase taggmann. I have heard the same thing about the NH and Cat brakes, but don't know by my personal experience. Given the little knowledge I have of them, how well do the brakes work on the 555 your looking at? When you pull the dipstick for the differential housing, how clear does the oil look on the dipstick? If all looks good on the 555 your looking at, and the price is good, then go for it. I will say I'd rather perfom repairs on a Case or even a Deere machine than a Ford/NH, but I won't say that makes them a bad machine. I'm just not fond of splitting a tractor to work on a torque convertor or shuttle trans when other brands have a driveshaft between convertor/shuttle and trans. But if all the fluids of these components look clear and they work well, then by all means, consider it a good machine. Also, breaking the rear axles on a loader hoe to replace brakes is not that bad a job. And, yes, many brands have that type of arrangement. The way I understand it, just make sure the oil in the differential housing is clear. If it gets dirty, change it. Maybe some others will add some more advice for you.
Yeah, you have another good point. sometimes when considering a purchase its easy to become too anal ( for lack of better wordage). Best to get back to the basics. Going to look at a '91 cat 426 on Monday. 4000.00 cheaper than 555. Will check fluids. and operation. The guy also mentioned parking brake module on trans. cant move until you override?? Thanks ; John
Taggman, what are your intentions of use for this machine? Business or personal, once a week, or daily use? You might wana consider that. I bought a 1987 445a ford from a local city auction about 7 years ago for 7000. its been a great machine. I own a small landscaping company and use the machine at most once a week during the summer. another thing to consider is how good you are at repairing things. I love my older machine because there are no electronics. Its very simple to work on. I have only diy automotive experience and you can figure almost anything out yourself with the help of a manual (or with the help from the guys on this forum) hope this helps with your decision. -kev
Hey Kev. A little bit of both, lots of personal and a job or two, 4x4 is a must my property is all hills and mud or snow. ext. hoe is big on the wish list. Mostly I would hate to end up with a machine that when you go to the parts guy he says: Oh you got one of them. worst machine _______ ever made. You make a great point about older and simple. I think as electronics go obsolete you will see machines scraped for a bad part that didn't even exist years ago. Sure they have bells and whistles but are they really more efficient? ( I smell a new thread). Thanks for your input and you are dead on about this forum, very helpful. Wish I'd found it years ago. John
Tripped over this tread today. Finally bought a 426b cat 1988 around 8k hours. Swapped a 06 Pontiac g6 and cash. Had to rebuild trans and been a good machine. Post lock and 4x4. Gonna need to reseal rigger cup. But otherwise not to bad. Regards; john