I need to replace the top swing pin bushing on a case 580c (model 35 backhoe). Are there any tips on doing this without pulling the lower pin? The lower pin is in good shape and I hate to split the whole hoe. Thanks in advance.
You will have to remove the lower pin. I usually extend the dipper all the way out with the bucket on it and set it on the floor. Remove the swing cylinder pins and collapse the swing cylinders. You will have to pull off the lines to the swing cylinders to do this or have someone hold the lever and push the rod in on 1 cylinder, block it so it wont come back out as you push the second rod in with the lever pushed the other way. Then you need a hoist to carry the weight of the boom. Remove both pins and just slide the swing tower sideways far enough to clear the bushings in the frame.