Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310SG – Question About Welding on Machine

tractorbuds ยท 2026-05-29 10:29

I am installing a 36" manual thumb in order to clean up some property I have and move some stumps and boulders around. I am a capable welder and am just going to go the manual thumb route as I don't have that much work to do to warrant an expensive hyd. thumb. Question, is disconnecting the battery good enough prior to welding? The reason I ask is that I would avoid this alltogther if I thought I was endangering my electronics. I have seen some scary posts. On the flip side, welding heavy equipment back together is happening all the time, lol! Just thought I would check in to see if there was anything else I can unplug in the system prior to moving forward. Cheers!

Replies2
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-05-29 13:52

    If you have electronics just disconnect both battery cables and you won't have to worry about frying something. Hook the ground close to where you're welding.

  2. #2tractorbuds2026-05-29 16:57

    OK great, thanks for the encouragement!