Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 Cat 3208 Turbo Marine Engine Identification

JASTX · 2022-10-17 09:21

Hello I recently joined the forum as I saw a similar, very old thread with Nige and Ricky regarding the same topic. I'm hoping someone can help me determine what serial number range I have so I can order correct parts. I have a 1990 SeaRay Sundancer 420DA. It has twin Cat turbo 3208s. I can't find any ID tags except on transmission and the engine is painted so it's very difficult to find anything stamped. I' uploading a few pics of what I can find that were discussed in the older thread to help. If there is any further info needed to help identify please let me know and I will provide what I can. Thank you, Jason

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2022-10-17 09:50

    I remember that thread very well. It was quite a bit of detective work to put it mildly........... Have you looked at that same thread to find the post about the locations of the Serial Number plates (it was somewhere along with illustrations).? If so I suggest that you look in those areas for Serial Numbers, it may involve using some paint remover to get down to metal if the engines have been painted a few times since they were originally built. Without removing paint you are very unlikely to find anything. Here's a link to the other thread to make things easier - HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #256wrench2022-10-17 09:55

    No tag glued to the top flat surface of an engine valve cover? Sometimes the s/n and arr tag was glued to the end of the block area just above where the flywheel housing bolts on but it may be hidden by the exhaust. On marine engines the tag may be hidden by a bunch of stuff. Show some pictures of the top of the engines

  3. #3Nige2022-10-17 11:05

    Pay specific attention to the photos in Post #29 on Page 2 of the other thread. They show two possible locations for stamped engine Serial Numbers or S/N plates. If you then go to Post #34 the OP of the other thread found the numbers on both engines in one of those two locations. Try that first and see where it gets you.

  4. #4JASTX2022-10-17 11:38

    No nothing on valve covers anymore. previous owner kinda let it go. We got it for a really good price and she runs well but I'd like to get all maintenance up to date and fix anything that needs it. I'll post more pics later after I get off work.

  5. #5JASTX2022-10-17 11:41

    Thank you, I will go back and check the posts. I do have quite a bit of room at the flywheel so hopefully I can find something there. I will check again after work. Thank you

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-10-19 20:47

    U can get “gasket/paint” remover in a spray can at Walmart or parts store..

  7. #7Coaldust2022-10-19 23:34

    Nige and thepumpguysc are all over it. These things were my bread & butter back in the day. It’s going to be a 75V. With the parts book in hand, just compare the inj pump and turbo numbers to the book, and in short order, you will figure out the serial number range.

  8. #8Coaldust2022-10-19 23:45

    What do you think ThepumpguySC, ? Could JASTX remove the torque spring stack from the governor and work backwards with the TMI documents. Could probably narrow it down with the governor spring strip color.