Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 International 2574 Trash or repair?

8N Tim · 2020-08-07 03:00

Hi everyone. Just looking for some recommendations. We accidentally bid on and won 1990 international 2574 in a rb auction yesterday. Paid $1000 after fees. I’m trying to figure out whether to try and fix it up and sell it, keep it or just put it in the next auction to try and recoup my losses. This thing looks terrible in the pictures and it looks like the trans, driveshaft and tailgate are missing along with all the other problems like the rear axles look out of line or damaged. Odometer reads 97k miles. I don’t have much experience working on large trucks but I have quite a bit working on excavation and farm equipment as well as pickup trucks and other machinery How much would it cost in parts to get this thing going? Is it even worth it? Any info is helpful!

Replies27
  1. #18N Tim2020-08-07 03:02
  2. #2Truck Shop2020-08-07 07:36

    Part it out, is the best idea. Engine is a Cummins BC IV it looks like.

  3. #3CM19952020-08-07 07:37

    That truck's worth is in its parts. Either find a junk yard that will buy it or send it back through the auction and hope for the best.

  4. #4crane operator2020-08-07 10:48

    Part it out.

  5. #5Delmer2020-08-07 12:19

    If you have to pay to have it hauled, or you're not set up for parting it out yourself, let them sell it again. I'd even ask for a break on the fees if there was any way they were at fault for the mistake. Can't hurt to ask even if it was entirely your fault. Do not even think of fixing it up. That's not in that shape because it was running everyday and then the transmission broke and they never got around to replacing it. More likely the engine was going bad, brakes were almost gone, and something else happened. The good trans was borrowed for another truck, along with any tires with tread left, and who knows what other parts.

  6. #6Jonas3022020-08-07 13:08

    Well its trash your out 1000 dont make it any worse if they can resell it at any price let it go cost of hauling will eat up what the junkyard will give you

  7. #7Truck Shop2020-08-07 16:09

    If engine will rotate 360* worth $1,000 core, 18,000 lb steer $650, rear drops $750 & 650, radiator $450.

  8. #88N Tim2020-08-09 20:18

    Thanks for all your input guys it’s very helpful

  9. #9Tenwheeler2020-08-09 21:42

    Lots of good advice there above! No do not try to fix that! On another point of view. If it was an 82 or 8300 hood I would pay two grand for the hood hinges wiring etc. if you were within 150 miles. Will those folks let you work on it enough there to see how the engine is? Advertise and sell the hood. Then run it back through the auction. Great idea but never worked out for me.

  10. #108N Tim2020-08-09 21:55

    I plan to check the fluids in it and try to crank it over in the yard to check the engine. How many truck batteries do I need to bring to test it?

  11. #11Truck Shop2020-08-09 22:00

    4

  12. #12DMiller2020-08-10 12:52

    With mud under the hood am doubting will roll over

  13. #13DMiller2020-08-10 13:21

    BTW, noted the Under Picture appears frame is bent, ripple on lower lip.

  14. #14mitch5042020-08-10 13:43

    That kinda looks like the transition in the frame flange at the back of the engine, but I don't think it matters!

  15. #15Welder Dave2020-08-10 13:50

    Not worth trying to turn it over. The hoist could bring some money if it doesn't appear to be leaking. Curious how you accidentally bid on it? It's a former plow truck and they likely robbed parts off it to use on another similar truck. The front hyd. pump could be worth a few bucks.

  16. #16Welder Dave2020-08-10 19:02

    You could try and turn the engine over with a bar but not with the starter.

  17. #17crane operator2020-08-10 19:45

    I don't think there is anything wrong with the rear axles, just flat tires on opposite sides makes it look bad. The float rims on the steer axle are also worth keeping or selling. Looks like its also twin steering boxes up front, so its likely a 20,000lbs front axle? Also- the cylinder for the bed is gone, and the bed doesn't look in that good of shape, got some rust clear through it. Otherwise the bed would be worth 1-2,000 if it was in better shape. I also don't think I'd hook it up to batteries and try to fire it, without really checking out what all has been removed electric, by the look of the animal nest, it may have some wiring issues. I think I might just run it off the batteries straight to the starter and a bucket of fuel if you really have to run it.

  18. #18mitch5042020-08-10 19:57

    It's definitely not valueless, if it was in SC, I'd give you your money back, but probably no more than that, unless you deliver. And, I would definitely not look at fixing it, I'd just let it sit until I needed a piece, so I could find that that piece was missing or bad. I have several S trucks I use for that.

  19. #19Truck Shop2020-08-10 21:38

    Get a fire extinguisher hook up some hot batteries give it a quick shot of ether and go to cranking. It will either start or not, well at least until the contacts in the starter solenoid stick and the starter keeps motoring. It will either go or blow. But most likely it will start if it will rotate 360*. Ya got'sta have some fun. And if it starts knocking hold it to the wood.

  20. #20Welder Dave2020-08-10 22:24

    I couldn't tell if the hoist cylinder was there or not. My Ford L9000 ex plow truck has twin steering boxes and a 16K front axle with 40K rears.

  21. #21crane operator2020-08-10 23:14

    There's a better picture on the ritchie site that shows no hoist.

  22. #22Steve Frazier2020-08-10 23:26

    Double frame on a plow truck is never a good combination.

  23. #23Welder Dave2020-08-11 00:50

    That explains it. I'm lucky on my former plow truck that Alberta didn't use a lot of salt like some other provinces so there isn't much rust on the frame and no rust jacking that I can see. Have seen vehicles from Ontario that are just full of cancer.

  24. #24Truck Shop2020-08-11 07:45

    I'm wondering why some think it's a bad idea to start it, The engine is the most valuable part of it. If it runs it's worth $2,500 as a running core, if it doesn't it's a $1,000 core.

  25. #25Flat Thunder Channel2020-08-11 07:53

    I think trying to start it is a great idea! People will pay much more for a running engine! Post a video of it while you are at it. Everyone loves 'Will it Start' videos. Heck use the video to sell the engine! Just be prepared so she doesn't run away on ya.

  26. #26Welder Dave2020-08-11 11:08

    I think mostly because if it's in similar condition to the rest of the truck it could a frustrating and expensive endeavor. I know some guys on a farm who's brother passed away. His widow just wanted to get rid of the Cabover Ford he bought a few years previous. It was used as a cattle hauler and to haul bales. Engine and clutch was apparently rebuilt not long before he bought it. Nobody was interested and it sold for under $1000. It was in good condition and had a 400 HP 3406B! I've seen other good running trucks at auctions sell for cheap too. One place where the owner was retiring sold a dump truck complete with service history where they just spent a couple thousand putting all new brakes a couple new tires and fixing other things. It sold for $2500 and also had a 3406B. It wasn't the most desirable truck suspension wise but ran and worked good. Box and hoist was in great shape ad not beat up. I think it had Neway or Reyco air ride suspension.

  27. #27Truck Shop2020-08-11 13:30

    Just the separate core values alone, injectors 25 ea, turbo 300, compressor 275, injector pump 100, fan hub 150, aftercooler 275, thermostat housing 200, crank shaft 500, Good block 800. heads 100 ea.