First up Decide will try to establish gas to BILs chevy so load up to drop the GMc at the barn and attempt to motor the chevy to the shop. Not today Seems RF brake dragging severely Have new caliper hoses so figured start there. Again Not today. Local parts house will have calipers and pads in by morning, will assemble the new hoses to these then swap and install new pads. RF both pistons freezing up extended, LF one piston has never moved out the other wants to hang and pads are all pretty well cooked. Rotors mic within reason they are staying. Hose on RF is relatively new Do not care is getting swapped.
Disc brakes seem problemmatic on big trucks at least it has daytons.
Had to run errand anyway Picked up calipers installed after dinner Gravity bled for now. Awaiting pad set be here by 7:30 at least in town in morning. Reman calipers have what appears a powder coating.
Doug don't get me started on truck disc brakes, especially air disc. There is a whole thread two pages back on those sorry brakes.
Well holds true even if NOT Internasty: Won't Run Paint it Red, still won't run Chrome It. Bed was painted Red and did Better but slugging down road. Put these on and Flies to 55 now!!
Alright then, Finished mowing soon as dried this morning, grabbed up spare parts and back to the yellow beast, Homespun Standpipe, electric pump a little enganearing to make it work topped fluids and back to shop. SOON as get done Wasp Spraying the ENTIRE machine, then will begin the tear down to see what if anything can be saved.
And I suspect YES, if look too hard too long you will ALL need a Tetanus shot. Managed to keep enough fluid in brakes to get where is sitting and then just like that ALL Gone again!! PS will be empty by morning.
So if you have a SMV triangle on it, can it just be considered a farm vehicle, and then no worries about tires, brakes, suspension, inspections, plates, or the possibility of the entire bed and cab spontaneously disintegrating? Have fun!
Essentially YES to all the above, limited distance on ANY LOCAL roadway, not licensed just a farm derelict. Have two neighbors drive old non licensed farm trucks to the gas station, then back to the farm, never been bothered.
And I thought I was a glutton for punishment... Looks like you’re definitely gonna be busy with that one
No doubt you will make medical history, that thing looks as if it is host to several hereto unknown diseases!
Just look at it as air conditioning in the cab with the holes, the faster she goes the faster she blows Looks like you had about just as fun as me when I did my International, except I went down to the bearings and replacing rotors. That would be a grab a beer and wrench project.
Similar set up SM, almost exactly the same less the booster behind the master cyl. Have a donor lined up from OK am pretty certain, have some other stuff being considered but is all a work around. Currently tossed between strip cab from this and recab short frame or use 75% of donor to build a longer flatbed style dump swap axles and brake systems away from drums. Bed is a different story if keep the short frame. Have steel from floor of old grain truck bed can over lay, can padeye and come along bed sides re-weld the seams that turned loose as used for construction demo work long ago, tailgate needs re-pinned to hang square and actually function well plus replace chains/chain eyes so can spread with it again, then the cab guard wall needs re-established at least to cab height. Angle iron to reinforce lower bed side edges, patch panels for gusset reinforcing, re-establish SOME lighting(Brake/Tail} just for my own peace of mind.
News flash, BIL decided does NOT want the Chevy back, is officially mine to do with as please. Title on the way.
well, at least the tires are round
I for one am shocked- forthwith and verily I tell you stunned that the BIL would consider it not worth fixing. Are you at least going to get paid for what you've done so far? Or was that under the "friends and family" repair plan?
That had already been filed under the F & *** clause.
That would be Family and !! you know the rest!!
Got shop cleaned, enough, got my running around done this morning as had to go to Lowes, for a decent Soldering iron, had 18v Dewalt batteries at Batteries plus that were ready, wife had her order in for Wally World and I was close, then a bank deposit then a Beer procurement and back home to do this: Fat Allis is back on stands, time to find out what is gone south on right brake.
Disc brakes on the Chevy! Wow!!! Mine had air. Drove it 14 years. First safety inspection was by a friend. He said brakes needed adjusting. 500 miles later, less than a year, he said it again. I reminded him he did that 500 miles ago. In 14 years the tanks all got replaced, the compressor wrenched itself loose from its mounts a dozen or more times. I finally drilled the mount nuts & bolts, put cotter pins in. I replaced those cotter pins a couple times. I never touched a brake. As of last week it'd put you through the windshield if you aren't careful.
I bet that seat placement gives you great visibility, steering is less ergonomic.
First piece of the puzzle to remove in the operating position!!
That term was first coined here in Walla Walla.
List of projects, I got one that's eating me up. Long story short, helping someone put roof on their house in exchange for place to park for 2 months or less. Knew this was coming before I came back, told the kid wait till I get there and I can see what we need to order.. Nope, impatient orders everything before I even made it past Truck Shops town. Get here do a tear down of shingles on half the house which ends up needing needs a new deck, okay start on that then the soffits are rotted along with the fascia, get all that rebuilt and start on the metal roof that he ordered. Seems he didn't order half the stuff that needs to be on the roof, I maybe see him an hour of the whole 12 hours I am on the roof doing this and keeps running off to play i.e. take naps, grocery shop with his wife, spend few days on some vacation and who knows what else. This a a 94 manufactured mobile home with two skylights, vents, chimney, hip roof on a gable and I am not even half way done on putting metal on. We aren't talking regular 3' panels I have to put up, this moron ordered 16" panel standing seem snap lock that you would put on a mansion or something and is taking me forever. None of the 16" panels are cut to specs of the home I have to cut each one cause he didn't measure right. I'm curious, anyone know how much one would charge one to do this job, it's on a 28' x 60' mobile home with 3:12 pitch. Honestly I'm wore the F out trying to get this done so I can get back to Montana and losing money in my time.
If my time as labor is not worth $40/hr is not worth my time Trades are accepted to rate near that As mechanic I accept no less than $100/hr as going rates around here range from 85-130
I sure didn't expect that sort of rust in Missouri. Here in the North, you can buy town trucks several years old rusted to nothing. everybody else's vehicles rust FAST, but the town truck actually delivers the salt to the road. You must suffer from severe self loathing to dig into that truck. What does the frame look like under the box?
I'm so many hours in, I'm sure in one day at this of $40 an hour I would make a months worth of rent for a RV and I don't plan on being here over 2 months. Was thinking about saying a $1,000 and split it with my wife who has done more to help me than him.
Frame is actually in good shape under this mess. Was a City of Brentwood MO truck when New(85) then sold after seven years of Salt service to Lutterman Concrete where he used it as a Demo haul unit until buddy of my BIL bought it to use for his own Demo work then failed a inspection and BIL bought intended for the Salem MO farm to haul creek rock. It never made it there. I was looking to the build here, needed to find a relatively OK on farm truck to haul dirt and he lent to me, has been here since 2014. Have rebuilt the carb, bought a used Holley Governed just for the truck and rebuilt it when the first one could not clear the metering jets bores the second go round and found the front bowl had sediment build up corruption that had finally eaten thru the aluminum. He had put brakes all way around with new wheel lines, I had to replace the steel tube from Metering block to rears some three years ago(Leak at of all things a Compression Union!!) Now has a brake tube across front cross member for steer axle feed, need Allis done first. Saginaw gear needs a reseal(Not hard to do), should get a reman pump for it and then a reman Hydro Boost on the vac booster. Hydraulics on this is a engine belt operated system so not dependent on trans rolling. Needs hydraulic hoses replaced, may set up a hard pipe from close to engine to scissors hoist and short line from frame to each. Reservoir is inside frame under hoist, that can be relocated to Outside the frame. Wiring is a typical City truck Mess, the tires are crap but hold air, essentially needs a cab to get solid enough for a base the support the other work. Does need exhaust leaks(donut gaskets) fixed.
Already has reman W/P, new radiator, new coolant hoses except heater core feeds as that is corrupted too, new belts.
I'm concerned that you are too much like me. I got stuff I want to do, I'm old, not yet extremely old, but old. There may not be enough time. I make excuses that I need to rebuild some relic, 'cause I need to move rock. The truth is I have a phobia of boredom. It terrifies me that I will have my mind, but no money to work on MY projects. I GOT to have projects! I see it as a balance, loose your health, mind & money at the same time, all is well. I think of my mother, she died with $8.00 in her bank account. She worked out the timing perfectly. My sister & I joked about stopping at McDonalds to spend our inheritance after making funeral arrangements. Sister & I are the only siblings I'm aware of who got no inheritance to fight about.
I whole heartedly agree about having to have projects. My wife, on the other hand, stresses over everything, including my list of projects.
Could be have hit that nail Willie. If I do not stay busy I dwell on those things I cannot help or change, I remain distracted and feel the need to stay in that distracted view. Time stands still for no man, I know that, I also know what I left behind so long ago that made me feel alive and cannot go back to retrieve it. I have another project coming, will be a surprise to most on here when arrives and will likely take me most of a year to complete, it is what it is and I answer that call. My wife is satisfied to sit and stare blindly at the one eyed brain eater on that new shelf I built, I cannot.
My Grandmother on Mom's side was my protector as a child, my Dad was a bit excessive in laying out punishment even as I did deserve it she was his limiter. She was as your Mother Willie, lived to 101, just shy of 102. Still had some savings and a little left of the money from her old house as well insurance to cover her funeral expenses and that was about it. Had lost her vision to Macular degeneration, her hearing was well past gone as she passed away yet her mind was relatively sharp. She had quilted and sewn, had made dozens of handmade articles for ALL 4 of her grandsons and Great Grans, she was a miracle worker with little of nothing yet kept that up until we had to enter her into a home to care for her, she did not last two years there. Grandfather Owen(Ode to us) retired from Shell oil with a Provident Fund Retirement at 60 years old, died before his first check arrived, Grandma received those checks until her 100th birthday where the agent in charge of her account spoke to my brother as to her outliving the fund, at 100 it just stopped as was in the contract. She drew more than three times more than the fund was ever intended and the agent chuckled as to she "Beat the System".
Day of reckoning, got it down, Nothing external, found the right lower shoe mangled. This mornings progress, and my damn helper, quiet as a church mouse but lays down ALL the time!
WHOMEVER gets this machine when I am done with it, gets that Pad Eye as a Special Tool INDISPENSIBLE!!! Donor parts are stripped out and at the shop. Tomorrow is Another Day! Soaked TWO t-shirts getting this far, gave in as noticed shoes/socks squishing. Is beer thirty.
Got clutch and lower brake shoes back in this morning, fought for over an hour with top shoe and brake adjuster which kept falling out of place. Threw in the towel at 12:30, managed some discretionary and itinerant expletives directed at the machine turned Out the lights and got cleaned up. Some days is better if not easier to Walk Away for awhile.
It's good you turned the lights out now go back and talk to it in the dark that way it won't see you carrying that .45.
When I want to intimidate inanimate objects I use a Mosberg Shockwave, A 30" overall long 12 gauge 3" pump. It seems it also works on people. Sunday night late, motion sensor lights came on across the road at my Connecticut resident's vacation house. At first I didn't recognize the pickup, when I did, I continued. It was their dirt bag son in law. I apologized, said I didn't recognize the truck. I think he got the message, he called me sir!
Kind of hard to hide that, you should at least blindfold that inanimate object.
It was never my intent to harm, only to diffuse the situation. "Never bring a knife to a gunfight" is a quote from a young man who had enormous potential. At age 50 he seems to be spiraling toward a crash. Sadly, he committed his life to drugs & alcohol. These days his son has made life a success, I'll bet my small fortune his daughter will also. They are both intelligent & tough kids. I digress. I get involved in households no grumpy old man should know about.
Well had brake shoe in and adjuster connected where could finish shoes install by 7:30 this morning, all buttoned up oil refilled, got it back on the floor to drop trans belly pan and do some leak checks. Have seeping spots all over that will need to get at when the Tornado Warning passes and the humidity drops a little. May bore a couple of drain holes in the pan as tends to hold fluid like a reservoir then roll it out all at once.
Sounds like you are going to try the old fashioned bloodletting technique: https://www.history.com/news/a-brief-history-of-bloodletting
Ran it a good forty five minutes could not get more than a loose drip of trans oil so buttoned up and took outside, set cage back on. While setting cage noted oily film above left final, tracked back to Brake actuator of Left side this time oozing from underneath so once get realigned will back it to the shop pull the actuator and see what is going on under it. Newly installed Right side is dry. For Now have some 1" square tube shelves for downstairs and a set of four 20"w shelves for the living room to get built for wife. Then this actuator then the yellow beast brake and gas lines.
As to the Blood Letting, will be a few days healing up the slices and dices on both hands from all the square sharp edges on this machine!!
Been steady raining all morning then took a break and I got cage on it.
Things to do, Well let's see... Finish my waterfront 2nd home, 3rd year on project Build a 50'x100' shop/barn, all equipment is outside supervise a 50'x75' shop/barn for youngest daughter/son in law complete the refurbishment of a Ditch Witch RT40, should of never started this one sandblast and paint F-700 ranch dump truck sandblast and paint, replace axles on 32' TD gooseneck replace metal roof on my home, damaged from hurricane Harvey build new cattle working pins drink as many Dos XX and Blue Moon ice cold as possible
On to bigger and HOPEFULLY Better projects. Chevy is sitting out the week at the shop, currently readying for a short trip into OK to pick up some stuff for the Next shindig. Photos and FULL story when get back.
You back yet with that 63 Autocar?
Two crates cleaned out reloaded and on the trailer Have a little issue as had a tire throw a belt on way down on Ford Be Tuesday morning to get a pair for tge front Still aligning the extra loose parts
Tires put on pickup on the 8th and back home(Another Mess of mine). NO Acar coming but did align for the dead W900 JY has. The Chevy has begun patch up process with the rotted Brake line R&R and home make up complete and a replacement p/s pump cartridge currently in the shop. Input gearbox seal kit is on order. This I bought pre-emptive for the other truck, found online at Larson Pete Parts, $90 Delivered NEW, Elite Truck Parts S1200, and may be a knock off but appears to be a Wabco by all base design. Will be a nice uprate for the KW. As far as the Tires, bought a pair of 285/75/16 E Hercules ATII to replace my destroyed 265/75/16 E Coopers(Only decent quiet lug 16s they had in E rate), KNEW I had a Herc Dealer nearby home where could get another pair at home at a later($$$$) Date, NOT True. Dealer here that WAS Herc was dropped BY Herc, searched all dealer inventories for the STL Region, NO ATIIs in stock Uncertain on receipt of more NONE on Amazon nor the Internet Tire suppliers. The two I need are bought, in JYs hometown and will be coming with the KW when it heads this way. YEAHAA!! Ride that Wave!!!
What's the story with the Kenworth? New hobby now that fat allis is running?
Allis is going AWAY!! Have it listed where may be awhile before goes but I am essentially done with it for Big work both Of it and On it! ANY Money gained from it will go to the KW. JY will have to fill in the blanks of the overheat that took out the head on the C15. Still a pretty solid tractor, needs considerable 'from sitting' work but is my kind of project where parts for the A-car were scattered and hard to get aligned. JY has and had loads of pieces for it, where that would be like light years to complete, he made mention while we were on a component search of readying to scrap out the W and the gears began to mesh(IF Not Grind) in my head. Less Mods and conversions, less time on stands, equivalent financially and a newer more parts available unit.
Did get to exercise the Fat Allis one more time. Renter of our ground was bush hogging the pastures to eliminate the Weed Heads, allow the grass a little extra sun, as got back Tuesday he was mowing, started in raining(Received 3+ inches in four hours) he got a little brave thru a small ditch and got his steer tires locked in sideways, had to rescue him!! Easy Work just ALL the way in the back of the Back forty!! Fat Allis was quite Happy, and so too the renter. The Victim
It’s a truck I bought about 8 years ago for a project we had. The guys didn’t realize it was losing water and it got nuclear hot, cracked 4 cylinders in the head. We limped along with it a bit and I finally tore it down. Was going to do a 6NZ conversion but got out of the trucking and it’s been sitting since 2016 or so. Came from the NE, Vermont if memory serves. 600k miles per ECM. 46k full lockers, double frame etc. Decent spec.
I bought a identical dryer for the 75, works fine.
People here have a nice International 175 track loader at a good price. It has the standard 1.75 yard tooth bucket but they have another 175 with bad engine & Drott skid loader. They would make a package. I think undercarriage was new 20 years ago. Charlie eased into retirement reluctantly. New undercarriage on 4 tracked machines that never left his yard for 20 years.
175 can be as much a issue as Fat Allis. Early units 7.0 pitch(Same as Allis chains), later were 7.5 pitch where could find a few more odds and ends for repairs. Dresser IHC is fast becoming as obsolete as Allis but good for farm/private functions.
So today's event as had a weekend full of visitors(Nephew and wife) as well mowed all day yesterday, got into the PS leaks this morning. Pump cartridge R&R cleaned up and set. Had to retrieve a set of Steering gear seals ordered Friday and a foot of 1/2" PS Return hose to close the system back up. This style pump is FUN! the Adjusting bolt and pivot bolt are BEHIND the pulley so pulley either has to come off or mount does to remove the old one. Not bad as to time, did not start until the Pest service sprayer had been and gone at 9.
Charlie probably has owned 15 or more over the years. When his health was failing, his family was peddling machinery. I considered buying one they would take $6000 for one that looked good. It had a broken crossmember somebody had gobbered some weld on without even grinding the paint off. It couldn't possibly have held. It looked like more than I wanted to get into, and I wanted a dozer, not a loader. I couldn't haul a 175, too heavy. I've had very good luck with parts from Winmill Equipment, & Anderson Equipment.
A lot of tge later Dresser/Dressta equipment used same patters as the old IH The company has gone Chinese so worry of continued supplies and quality But for a farm machine most any still work
Dislike those pumps with removable housing, that large O-ring always seems to want to seep a small amount.
I agree The housing required a little ball peen finessing as someone had pried against it at that o-ring land and dented the side cup pretty deep. Had to correct a rolled up lip on a rear retainer hole as well where a previous swap or reseal had been poorly managed. Seal at the can was leaking where the shaft seal as well was seeping. Was all a mess.
After fighting that a couple of times, I found my local NAPA had a source with reservoir installed for just a little more $.
Nothin but a thing!! P/S tight now and refilled Used salvaged standpipe and new fuel hoses from tank Mech. Pump checked good that is all back together running and bled out brakes. Got started on bed floor Full size sheet sewed down 14” filler panels cut and quit for the day. Essentially using up all the spare steel stuff been sitting on for for a long time.
OH MY!!!
Glad to see you burning it.
Got floor and side covers on Hauled three loads before got hung on wet grass and had to hike to the crawler then leap frog the two back to the house Dirt does slide away much better now and I don’t leave a trail of it to leave yard
Will not get much accomplished tomorrow Trip to Washington MO DOT physical at 1:00 Day of store runs for wife after Back to it Saturday to start with a comes and goes steering control leak left side
Grudgingly back out to the hide and seek leak on FA Evidently sat in the right position the right amount of time trail off of Left brake actuator to clutch cover plate All bolts were tight so off it came! Evidently in my first trip into the brakes for the left side torn apart I did not adequately clean or knocked a piece of turd onto the mating surface and Viola a seeping leaker. Cleaned it well Changed the oring at the dump port and back in, while opened up backed off brake assist another full turn, then adjusted rail tension. Tomorrow is just another day
And yes there is a Empty bolt hole present, was just in process going back in took photo.
If it ain't dripping, it's empty.
Well after some serious use its dripping AGAIN.. Fat Allis was working So Well, got the spoil with all the BIG Rock out and a crater built then noticed the Snail Trails, damn machine sprung TWO NEW Leaks while in use, UUUUGGGGHHH! Have something going on in mast hydraulics Left side, and a drizzling leak somewhere above trans belly pan. Once I get less than AGGRAVATED and ANGRY I will go find them, tractor is back in its warm abode, the Shop. And I am draining a Makers 46 bottle on the rocks currently.
Need about three to four decent CLEAN dirt loads back into the hole and will be ready for clean up for a garden spot. Wanted to get several rolled out stumps moved and the FA sent back down to the barn to load the derelict but seems NOT to be happening all too soon.
Never mind Fat Alis. The garden has at least six months. I don't yet know of Maker's 46. I have long believed Maker's Mark was best. I'd like to know more about Maker's 46. My father in law was a snob, especially about Scotch. In the 1995 era, I installed energy efficiency upgrades in walk in coolers. These sold like hotcakes in Massachusetts. Massachusetts has a law you can't own more than one liquor store. For every law, there are five intentional loopholes. In this family, every distant relative owned a liquor store. I kept meeting with the same person, town after town. Each time, he had a different name. One day, I had become quite familiar with this man who's name kept changing. I asked his professional advice about a very good Scotch. He gave a brief lesson. I don't even now remember the Scotch I bought for my father in law's birthday, I had been married to his daughter 15 years at the time. Briefly thereafter, he knew my first name. By the time the bottle was empty, he again forgot my name.
46 is smoother to me Have had them both and have both in the house Dead trooper
I like a decent scotch whiskey, enjoy a slight peat taste in the background where some are like sucking a peat dirt clod, do not go for those. Bought a bottle of Aberlour, A'Bunadh. Best scotch I have found but price just went up again. Last I saw was $87 a bottle. Still have a half here and nibble at it discreetly.
I feel ya on the endless hydraulic leaks. Between the backhoe and bobcat, I've replaced 5 hoses in 3 weeks, with several on the backhoe on their last legs. Those will be my winter project if they make it that long. The JLG also has an intermittent leak that I haven't located yet. Hard to diagnose that one by yourself.
90% of the hoses looking at are less than three years old.
It ain't leaking, it's sweating. Try a bottle of Bookers next time **** and hang on!!! Today's one of those days that you spent a day of trying to fix someones F ups the owner is looking at you cock eyed and grasping at straws on how to fix it and you know he is finding a way to cut off any nickel or dime from what you are going to charge him cause it took me too long to get it right. After I heard the words "you don't want to pis me off" I wanted to destroy the fuker instead I will cut my 3 days of work loses and let him find someone else to fight it. One of those if he offers you glass of water don't take it, it comes with a price to pay. My apologies if I hijacked the thread
Alright so found the leak on the bucket curl hose, Fitting was a bit off align loosened and retightened, all is better. Trans area different story, seeps from nearly EVERY fitting with new hoses, should have probably invested in new fittings at each end structure but not going there currently. Managed to get a few slightly tighter as with the Hydraulic line but is still going to seep. NOT spending $3-500 for fittings to get the hoses to fully seat. Next owner can go that route when change trans oil next. By fluid level check lost Maybe a pint to quart, likely less, always appears worse than is by spreading out.
Are you in a bad mood? Sometimes I have a problem three great mechanics can't solve. I consider how I would feel if I spent hours on a problem, but couldn't fix it. Right now I have a shake in my fire truck converted to dump truck. The mechanic who shortened the frame, replaced air tanks, all the plumbing does excellent work, is now shrugging his shoulders. I asked at the super truck garage if they could figure it out. Their list was very long! I came away feeling they didn't want my truck on the road. Rico, (the mechanic who did everything on the truck) took it to a far away truck garage he knew. They had nothing to offer. Today I did a you tube study. Everything I found said the U joints in the drive shaft were clocked wrong. I changed the clocking, and replaced the rearmost U joint. I climbed into that cab confident it had solved the problem: Pretty much unchanged! I don't consider myself a dirt bag. I don't ask people to fix problems free. I ask them to fix. If my problems are not fixable I still have asked them to spend their time. Everybody gets paid. The tire mechanic who said it won't help to balance rear tires, I took his advice; the boss got angry, had words with him out of my earshot, I gave him a $20.tip. Not every problem can be easily solved. It is my truck. If I ask you to help I expect to pay for your time. Your customers need to understand.
No bad mood Angry at old machine giving me fits!! You are fine to ask questions at any time is all good.
Willie B-what angle/degree is the drive shaft at? And what angle/degree is the the yoke on the rear end at?
I wasn't poking you. Spud Monkey seemed a little on edge. I have a lifelong habit of poking tigers with pointy sticks.
Spud has a lot on his plate currently!!
I'm not sure how to measure deviation from level front to rear. I have an inclinometer. but the truck doesn't fit inside the garage. I'd estimate it was sitting on a 3 degree grade, The two middle sections of driveshaft measure 6 degrees, I'll estimate 3 degrees slope down in rear. I'd say both transmission output, and pinion are close to the same angle. None of the three universal joints are at more than a few degrees angularity. Middle U joint near the carrier bearing seems to have virtually no angle. Both sections of the shaft are at the same 6 degrees, truck frame about 3 degrees out of level.
https://www.drivelinesnw.com/part-t...ysis/measuring-and-correcting-angle-problems/
The joint or yoke angle to be concerned about is the pinion. When shortening a wheel base shims are sometimes needed to tip the yoke angle at pinion up, Same with lengthening a wheel base sometimes shims are needed to tip the yoke angle down. Shims between axle housing spring seat and spring. just two cents. I have run on to some that were way out of permissible angle.
I can fix the problems, just when the customer is buying the "wrong parts" then throwing in "I just bought it, it's still new" when its years old and your trying to convince them that's the problem. Instead you spend 4 hours showing like teaching a class of how I came to conclusion and the problem isn't elsewhere by testing and showing it isn't and he throws in inconclusive thoughts of what he thinks he knows then you ask for being paid all those hours and he doesn't want to. Which tonight I get to explain over the phone of why I charged so much and that's after I knocked off few hundred The guy went and had mid length headers put on awhile back on a 36 yr old jalopy motorhome, they started leaking and he thought it was at the collector not the exhaust flange. Showed and explained the problem of how I know where it's leaking, well before I get the headers off I explain now one of these bolts if not multiple may break when taking them off and this is how many ways it could be fixed. He said they better not and I fired back with well you better find yourself another mechanic and he said I better not pass him off and I will pis him off if I do and if I break any of the bolts off too. This is about the time I usually would walk to back of the car and just grab a pipe wrench out and commence to having fun. Someone put square port headers meant for a Ford 460 7.5 1988 and newer fuel injected engine on a Ford 460 7.5 1987 carbureted engine with oval exhaust ports and I managed to snap a bolt even after soaking hours with PB Blaster and torching them. I'm waiting on that arse kicking I should get if I did Voltage regulator went bad which is the "new" part he just put on "supposedly" and the brakes I was supposed to bleed ended up being a hole in the brake lines that required custom fabrication from 25' roll. After I get back from my trip I'm "SUPPOSED" to go back and put the header back on since he bought the wrong exhaust manifold gasket and wants to put the old header back on it Some reason I don't see me going back.
Walk away quietly and he will vanish into oblivion..
Today was a catch up day. Foggy and wet so not moving dirt, loaded up the 18' trailer with scrap iron. Had partial Tins load(Cast large stuff and not "Clean") and partial Prepared all small enough to pass High dollar, for 4900# $232. All the small crap is now moved out, time to finish loading the derelict crawler. Even got the old rails on the Gooseneck for next week when the derelict gets loaded up. Have had one tire kicker on Fat Allis. Fella from IA seems interested, price scare him but I am not budging.
Well, I hadn't considered the moving of axle a foot needing a different pinion angle.
Everybody wants a bargain, or a great price. I sell at a fair price. A few times when I am the buyer I've been tempted by what sounds like a great price. I've had it in the back of my mind it was time to upgrade my backhoe. I've been watching the ads. Last winter I read an ad $20,000 for a 2005 Case 580M Pilot controls, extend a hoe, clam front bucket, ride control. At this point I forget the hours, but 3500 sticks in my mind. Some rust. We drove 9 hours round trip to look at a machine with two new buckets, utterly non functional. No brakes, hydraulics didn't work at all. It was inside a building, with a battery charger hooked to it, the engine was warm, but it wouldn't start. I asked to roll it outside. He was selectively hard of hearing, I had to insist on rolling it out. Running, outside, I couldn't lift any bucket, couldn't steer, tried to use the bucket to stop; NOTHING! The floor was utterly missing. the hood had been propped up for the photograph, the bottom where the hinges are, that was missing.
Then it really wasn't shortened if only moved a foot.
For the record the scrap prices were $.055/lb Tins, $.06 Prepared($110t and $120t) Quite satisified at those.
Tire kicker called on Fat Allis again Making sure gauges work Wanted to negotiate adding on a hour meter No key switch just a master and push button so said ‘No’ He can have one added if wants one later Old one ran on Genny field circuit now has single wire Alternator May still buy it
Easy enough for someone to plumb a pressure switch into the oil gallery. Good luck with the sale.
He called back this afternoon. Headed this way Monday, stay overnight, wants it and will take it home Tuesday. Started boxing up the loose parts. Going to be hauling on a 20T Tag trailer(Electric Brakes) behind a GMC Top Kick(Hydraulic Brakes) Dump truck 3116(?) Cat 5&2. FA weighs 24,000, Plus second bucket Plus two pallets spares. 300 miles, Clinton IA.
After all the work you've put into her you're going to send her down the road just like that?? No more leak repairs, brake band replacements, manufacturing your own exhaust, bucket changes, hunting for used undercarriage.....uuuuggghhh, I'm just tired thinking of all the stuff you did to keep it going, and I probably missed at least 10 other things you did.Probably best you're saying goodbye. Make sure you get a bottle of Makers 46 to enjoy as she heads out the driveway....
Have a single barrel Four Roses awaiting the toast goodbye
When I sold my Dodge 3500 sold it for $3000 and a bottle of Knob Creek, didn’t know but the buyer was under 21. He got the bottle somehow. Hope the road is cleared and no one is near when he has to stop. I’m shiting myself with my current load on electric brakes and it’s only 10T back there and I got air brakes on this rig.
He doesn't have a good way to get home either from your place. Going to go up 61 and river road it? Got some hills between your place and his... Farm tags and hope for the best?
NO Idea, he just laid out what he had as far as equipment. Not even certain truck or he is licensed for the weight or if has any considerations as to CDL requirements once add the trailer on with the loader on it. His pathway was 19 to US54 to Hannibal/Palmyra area, then 61 on into Davenport. From there he goes to Comanche IA. Once leaves Gasconade County and gets past Montgomery City MO is pretty well flat to Hannibal. Can get hilly north of Palmyra but not Ozark's quality. That and as soon as accepts it and leaves, it is ALL His.
You sending that old clam bucket with him? That will fill up a tag trailer.
Tractor, MP Bucket, FOUR Pallets of parts/pieces. He will be overloaded. Todays doin's, Scrap Tractor loaded for Monday. Dentist visit 8:00, back to house pick up this mess two or three chains, two straps and off to Mullins salvage. Barn is damn near EMPTY!
You been busy. 30x30 barn?
30x48
Should have been 40x60 or 80 but money was tighter then times in '29!! Workshop as well, 40x60 was the intent, the 30x48 was what could muster. And 12x10/20 does not sound like much but for the barn was over a grand in truss and another grand in tin plus girt lumber and added post, Shop would have gone from $54k (incl Concrete) to closer to $80. Really set pen to paper as to what could afford at the time but wanted/needed bigger, still do.
I'm glad it isn't me hauling it. Sounds like a recipe for tragedy. That's a job for a tandem with air on both truck & trailer, lots of the extra stuff in the truck.
Explained that to him, does not want to spend a grand+ to get it moved, would have been cheap if has accident. Currently here is $3 loaded mile within 200 miles where anything beyond I have not quoted.
Just on fuel, wear on truck/trailer not dependent if he has a blowout on his 20t tag or truck or if gets fined by Brown Shirt DOT boys he will be near to half what would cost to have hauled. Cheap is NOT always good.
Plus his time involved. People neglect to count the value of their own time when weighing the cost of something like this.
He will have two full days of travel/layover without incidents. Had he come down in car or pickup said yea or nay and went home maybe a day. Still have stuff done and let hauler move machine, is what I did when bought both the runner and donor.
OK, OK , OK, so the Wife winds me up today, wants to watch STL Cards games, had bought a Disney ESPN Package, could NOT figure out why would NOT "Cast" to TV as she KNEW that was how it was done, so after three weeks of fiddle farting with that she gave up and cancelled Disney/ESPN account. Sees can get thirty day FREE trial thru HULU Same promise, Local NEWS and Sports, so Goes Downstairs, Logs in thru GOOGLE to HULU and Buys a monthly account($55/Mo). Goes Upstairs, NO locals on TV under HULU same as with Disney. Gets frustrated, keeps throwing the remote to ME to "Fix It", I keep throwing it back as SHE Needs to KNOW how to do this. I tell her to go Downstairs and figure out HOW to load the TV as does not show as on account as supported device on my Phone. She avoids this as has a PLAGUE!! Finally after four HOURS of her attempts, pushing SAME buttons thru SAME Menus over and over and over I go Downstairs and Log onto HULU. Check account status, Three Devices, My phone Hers, and PC, Need to ADD the TV, Took FIVE WHOLE MINUTES, explain that TO her FOUR MORE TIMES. Finally She Logs OUT of HULU on the TV and Logs in with Current Account ID and PW, VOILA!!! ALL The GD Stations she could not get are THERE!!!!!!! Most probably what was wrong with Disney ESPN, but she would NOT log into PC to figure it out. My Bl Pr has to be ELEVATED past the 45th Floor, GD SOB AAAAAAUUUUUURRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!! HOLY **** Buttman How is she EVER going to survive if could NOT figure this out????
are you still waitin on dinner?
LOL No We just finished dinner as this progressed into OD She is now seemingly happy she has her favorite crap to watch once again More time mashing butt doing nothing
Dentist was short turnaround Was tying down to trailer by 8:45 and at salvage by 9:45 11,100 lbs 110/t $610.50
Just for the Record, was Over License weight by 700 pounds.
It can be our secret.
Well not surprised the tire kicker has not shown to the hotel, no calls(has my number) so suspect cold feet, scared, or something bad happened enroute. Suspect Not gonna show or contact in any form.
Alright, He has called. He Left Clinton IA at 7:00 this Morning, just NOW got to a Hotel at MO 19 and I-70. First event, outside Davenport IA, Loses two Tag tires, tire shop looks over the others and says Good to go with two new ones, All OK loses an hour. Gets on road running down thru New London MO Blows Front tire, gets towed, gets to tire shop and Do Not have "Eight Ply Rated" anything "Had to go with Sixteen Ply Tires" other front Also showing signs of stress so time to come off at $500+ EACH. OMFG this guy cannot be real. Is down in Motel for night as of 6:35. Wants to be at tractor by 7ish to try it out and have all ready to go home.. This is NOT gonna be good I have suspicions.
It's so fun dealing with those types, makes a person want to be in heavy equipment sales.
I Have Load Range E Trailer and Truck Tires on my Ford and Gooseneck. My 18' car hauler has Load Range E tires. All Ten Ply Rated.
You should volunteer to drive his rig home for him, your wife can follow and give you a ride back home. That way you can help change tires on the way. It will be like a vacation. Only less fun. If you bring your phone, the wife can watch disney on the way home.
I think it will be time to break out your favorite drink and the popcorn!!!! Just to watch all of this get put on the trailer.
Sounds like a gong show is coming to your place bright and early
I'm glad you put a G on that gong.
DMiller- you better have the camera out- I so want some pictures of this.
Said BYE BYE to Fat Allis, old guy that picked it up wanted it BADLY, not sure why!!! However He picked it up to go 300 miles to Comanche IA with a 2000 GMC Top Kick 8 lug 19.5s 3116 Cat. five speed SINGLE Speed rear, Hydraulic Brakes, has a FOUR Bolt pintle in a receiver hitch back braced to the frame permanently, dragging a 20T tandem dual on 16.5 E Tires and ELECTRIC Brakes. Only God can help him now. Tractor, MP Bucket and FOUR Pallets of spares.
Oh my!!!! That is (almost) my dream rig! and under no circumstance would it move with that weight. I would switch to a two speed rear. If he is careful, he might make it. Cancel that! I just re read your post; "in a receiver" I missed. Is it too late to buy a life insurance policy?
He'll be fine, he's got all that weight of that old bucket in the truck bed to help him stop. Thanks for taking pictures for us DMiller. He's got a load on that's for sure. What did the allis weigh?
The four bolt TEN (10) ton Pintle he had Bolted to the receiver slug and underbraced to the Receiver Supports was what scared me most. There was 24,000 lbs of tractor on a 5-7000 lb trailer on that hitch. The three ton tank of aa MP bucket was in the bed Lengthwise with four old cylinders, at least a ton of parts, a extra Converter and Trans assembly and a radiator. Truck was four inches lower at the pintle when hooked back up then when unhooked to load the bed.
There is a family I wish I was a part of. They move earth. To be more precise, they move everything heavy. There has been a recent change in State enforcement of trucking laws. A few years ago you did whatever you wanted. If there was no mishap, there was no enforcement. Moving slow, reacting to failures, they not once had a catastrophe! Suddenly, there are police analyzing every detail of trucking law. Avoid the truck check, you had a good day. Get caught in the truck check, there will be fines. A new truck carrying no load will be fined.
I will raise a glass and drink to this amazing moment DMiller! Amazing because no one "needs" that machine "badly"' but as the saying goes, there's an ass for every seat! But mostly I'll tip a glass back to all the hard work and monumental effort you put into keeping that orphan running...IF that fella makes it home there's not a chance he will love her as you did, I believe the truck and trailer combo is plenty of evidence. What I really want to know is, what are you gonna fill the empty space with? Some kind of new toy?
A W900 of coarse.
That's what I heard. Provided the Hulu doesn't get wonky....
Most likely gonna have to make another trip to it and help ready it for the trip home
Is a sad note to this My brother was listening to the rendering of the buyer’s follies and foibles where this morning got lost twice with directions in the seat beside him to get here. He was within a 1/4 mile the second time. Alzheimers early onset was his comment Old guy is 71 Divorced 7 years and trying to recover what he lost seven years ago. Gets lost with motor skills, gets lost with directions, got lost trying to operate a simple old loader on hand clutches and a single lever bucket control. Has a skid steer Has a forklift Has a backhoe But had to have this loader too Brother said its typical where he is so tied into fixing a past long gone cannot find his way now. May be right
What a deal i real train wreck.
Because near the end all we have is memories of what was, and a body too old and a mind that's too tired to relive the good days years past. sad truth.
Better to burn out than fade away... Kicker is, is when to switch the flip.
That's so sad to hear. It takes a somewhat funny story, and makes it a stark reminder of the day every one of has coming. That day when we shouldn't be doing any more, what we've always done. I hope his collection of equipment gives him the peace of mind and security that he is looking for.
heres the perfect candidate for a space filler
Until my older brother(He is same age 71) made the comment to me I had not considered the issue. He stated has seen this activity type in some of his older friends now gone from the disease. As you note I hope this brings him some security and peace so he can live his end days with less agony. Tried to call last night to confirm was OK, rang thru but did not answer and no voice mail has been set up response. Kind of sad.
I had a good friend, inherited well, then amassed a substantial fortune owning numerous businesses. He bought an ice cream plant for a song & built a respectable machine shop in it. He bought a Fordson NAA GOLDEN JUBILEE tractor with a machine shop built backhoe. The transaxle was broken. He replaced the casting, felt the hoe was too big for the tractor. He installed the backhoe on a 1955 Chevy Wrecker. Called it the "TOW HOE". First his father, then he was a collector. He loved old organs, steam engines, Victrolas, player pianos, player organs, popcorn wagons, etc. By his late seventies he began some erratic behavior. He went on a three year buying spree. He started a few weird business schemes, buried an old oil tank he intended to convert to a massive steam generator to power steam engines. One plan was DUKW tours in Lake Champlain. He started being accused of approaching young girls, saying inappropriate things to them. Started feuding with neighbors. When it seemed he had totally lost his mind, a couple who had been close forever, and his wife abducted him, and signed him in to a hospital. Ultimately the diagnosis was severe reaction to a non compatible combination of prescription drugs. A month in hospital he was cured! He was himself again! Sad events in life, he then had a knee replaced. It didn't go well, and he ended up an invalid. Moved to assisted living where he died a year later.
Old fella called just a few moments ago, has arrived back home. Stayed overnight in Keokuk then to the house this morning. The Mess made the trip of 300 miles in just at NINE hours!!!!
Only problem is now he is going to be even more sure of what he can haul the next time! Just hope the next load destroys the trailer and the tow vehicle before it hits the road!
next year i will be in a conundrum. this is our last harvest before retiring from farming. we will be relocating and i won't be able to take my 46a with me when we downsize. my wife says the cat 12 will not go either. we will be selling off our farm equipment and cleaning up the accumulated stuff around the yard. she says i can get a small crawler to play with but it just won't be the same. i'm too old to go back to being a full-time mechanic and wouldn't want to anyway. i don't like working on the newer stuff- i prefer the old, simple machines and vehicles. as long as my mind holds out and my body doesn't deteriorate faster than it has already has i should be good for a few years of restoring/tinkering but just have to find a large enough acreage in an area where i can work on and play with my stuff. it sure is the ***** when you plan your retirement around proximity to medical services, which you will need more of eventually. i would like cities if there were no people there and no traffic to fight with. any of my 'treasures' i get to keep will have to be moved about 4 or 5 hrs away from where we are now. when i was young, i didn't think retirement would be so complicated. big decisions and lots of work ahead
I am trying to pare down as I go, getting free of some existing 'Stuff' to dwell on with a New project for the winter and pare down even more beyond that. Will eventually end up in a small suburbia two or three bedroom 2 bath as we had when first married with Sis In Law living with us and few to any of the excess we have now. Will more than likely have a RV and a toter for it, but NO Boat, NO extra Car behind it, perhaps a lesser ride in a Toy Box In it but just two pieces going down the road. Snowbird moment for us should we get there.
Don't retire. My grandpa is 74. He just put about 50 hours on the forage harvester chopping corn, and is gearing up to run the combine for 1500 acres or so. He also runs the busineas for a 350 head dairy farm. Yes, my dad and uncle work on the farm too, but it is still my grandpa's farm and he is there managing the day to day, fixing what needs fixing, etc. He claims that staying actively involved is what keeps him sharp and healthy and I don't doubt it one bit.
Yep, I've seen too many quit working, then have no reason to stay active, go downhill and out fast. My father died at 83, the last time I saw him alive, he put down the 12 pound hammer to wave as I drove by. One of my best friends is a tugboat captain, he still goes on a couple of trips a month. He is the only reason I still go to sea, he won't pass the sea buoy without me on board as a backup captain, I don't know why, he's only 89. It pisses me off that that's all I want is to be able to work and do what I want into my '80s, and I am having more health problems than most of my friends 30 years older. Particularly when so many my age and younger want only to get on disability and sit on the couch.
Retirement is a Trick and Trap. Find I work more now than when worked, just no pay!! All too many projects all too heavy work. Paring down will do less Heavy and more detail as get there. Life is not without something to do where my FIL and wife would prefer to sit all day watch TV for ENDLESS hours, I cannot and could not ever do that. Will always have some wood working or carpentry or minor mechanical work going on, just in my nature, not going to work is not so bad once I dialed into that.
I guess that's better than if he had tried to make it in 4 hours. Slow and steady.