Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 International 466 brake switch

Big ace · 2020-08-13 14:21

I cannot find brake switch. Lights are not working. I checked fuse box and fuses are good.

Replies33
  1. #1mitch5042020-08-13 14:44

    air brakes, or hydraulic?

  2. #2crane operator2020-08-13 20:28

    In my 8100 international, the brake switch is on the back wall of the cab, kinda behind the drivers seat down by the floor.

  3. #3mitch5042020-08-13 21:49

    Same place in my 2375s, but they almost the same truck. His is probably a straight truck.

  4. #4Big ace2020-08-14 07:20

    Air Brales

  5. #5Big ace2020-08-14 07:21

    I'll check there

  6. #6Big ace2020-08-14 07:23

    my truck is a bucket truck

  7. #7mitch5042020-08-14 11:51

    I think the switch behind the seat is a tractor thing, so if you don't see it there, look all around the treadle (foot brake) valve which is under the dash if yourpedal hinges from the top. I have also seen them on the outside of the firewall, under the hood.

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-08-14 12:27

    Forward side of bulkhead. 2 spade switch in a push lock fitting Td into an airline.

  9. #9funwithfuel2020-08-14 12:29

    Should be 2. One for brake lights and one for cruise disable.

  10. #10Big ace2020-08-15 11:18

    Hi funwithfuel. Not familiar with bulkhead , is it partition behind driver seat

  11. #11funwithfuel2020-08-15 11:21

    Firewall. Between you and engine compartment. What model truck, 47/4900 ?

  12. #12Big ace2020-08-15 17:34

    4900 4900

  13. #13funwithfuel2020-08-15 17:36

    So, did ya find it?

  14. #14Big ace2020-08-15 17:52

    I have checked all arroind brake peddle. Nothing there. Checked outside firewall and nothing there

  15. #15crane operator2020-08-15 18:12

    Its got to be in the air line somewhere after the treadle. Follow the wires from the brake lights back toward the cab, and follow the air after it leaves the pedal. Somewhere they meet. Interior pic shows where my switch is in a 8300. Behind the upholstery. Firewall pic, that's supply to the pedal, and the lines out to the brakes. Find which set is going to the brakes and follow them.

  16. #16Big ace2020-08-15 18:25

    No Sir

  17. #17Big ace2020-08-15 18:34

    My outside fire wall resemble yours but i dont see a pressure valve

  18. #18DMiller2020-08-15 19:10

    Will generally look like a automotive oil pressure switch, larger diameter tin with a black plastic contact retainer center crimped in place, two wire connectors. Between the seats is most likely.

  19. #19Big ace2020-08-15 19:29

    Yes, i actually purchased one from international

  20. #20Big ace2020-08-15 19:33
  21. #21DMiller2020-08-15 19:33

    On the older Internasties Straight Trucks they would bury them on the side of the foot valve under the dash, always less than accessible except for tiny hands/

  22. #22funwithfuel2020-08-15 19:54

    They would use plunger switches on the pedals but those were strictly for juice brakes. You sure you dont have a tractor protection valve in between the seats on the floor against the back panel?

  23. #23Big ace2020-08-15 22:21

    I will check behind seat tomorrow , i have a full seat all the way across. No bucket seats

  24. #24Big ace2020-08-15 22:24

    Wiil check again, only thing that looks like the brake pressure switch is connected to PTO switch. I will look futher up under dashboard

  25. #25Big ace2020-08-17 17:02

    Hey , it was behind the driver seat. Want to thank all of you for jumping in and helping.

  26. #26mitch5042020-08-17 22:12

    Huh, I thought that was only tractors. Do you have air lines going out through the back wall of the cab? Or trailer air to the back of the frame? Either way, I'm glad you found it. There are so many options on those trucks, nobody can just tell you where it is.

  27. #27Big ace2020-08-18 06:26

    Air lines come from back of frame

  28. #28DMiller2020-08-18 07:39

    I dare say for speed of assembly the Air Brake cabs are all one stop commonality shop assembly, uncertain if to be road tractor straight truck or full truck with trailer combinations.

  29. #29Willyb21222023-06-08 13:27

    Any insight on this for a 1998 international 2554 model dump truck? No brake lights also

  30. #30DMiller2023-06-08 19:03

    Behind the driver seat was where IH magically deployed their skills in positioning a switch that would be buried in detritus and filth.

  31. #31charles walton2023-06-11 10:10

    I started a tread a while back about my '79 2574 not having ANY lights except blinkers,I was hoping some of you fellows could help me out,I'm stumped on it.

  32. #32DMiller2023-06-11 13:23

    Start with Headlight Switch, Old School, single body all functions.

  33. #33Willyb21222023-06-12 10:33

    I will check on this to know for the future. It’s at a heavy equipment and truck mechanics house now down the road from me. He’s going to help me out with it. I’ll update when I get some info. Thanks!