Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1992 580 Super K

Abiding Citizen ยท 2017-08-23 13:54

i have a '92 super k that will not go fwd or rev, unless it is in 4 wheel drive.. i picked the front tires off the ground when 4 wd was engaged and still nothing from rear tires.. i have checked everything that is obvious to me and all looks good.. Any ideas what it might be?

Replies13
  1. #1Delmer2017-08-23 14:39

    Rear differential? See if one wheel will turn by hand, and if the other wheel even tries to turn the opposite direction. I suppose a broken axle shaft or planetary on either side would do the same thing as the differential.

  2. #2Abiding Citizen2017-08-23 15:12

    ok i will try that and let you know what i find out.. i may not get to it until the weekend just a fyi... thanks for the help

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2017-08-23 17:17

    Also to go along with what Delmer stated check your stub axle in your brake housings one could be stripped. These models had a bad habit of that, that's why they went to the larger trans axles in later machines.

  4. #4Abiding Citizen2017-08-27 10:26

    I lifted back tires off ground and when i spun one tire the other moved in opposite direction..

  5. #5Abiding Citizen2017-08-27 11:31

    When i put it in gear vs neutral only the driver side tire moves when i rotate by hand..

  6. #6Delmer2017-08-27 15:22

    This sounds good for the differential but I don't know what it means that: "in gear only the driver side tire moves when i rotate by hand" That is, I don't know what could be broken that would cause the differential to only rotate in neutral. I suppose I'd drain some oil and fish around with a magnet if I didn't see anything obvious in the drain oil. or wait around for some of the Case experts to answer. There are several EXCELLENT Case mechanics who know what commonly goes wrong like Coy said.

  7. #7RDC_580C2017-08-28 02:30

    Have you looked under there to see if the rear driveshaft is intact?

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2017-08-28 08:43

    Ok Citizen I just thought of something. There is a splined stub shaft and coupler that goes into the input shaft of the transaxle, where the driveshaft attaches. This housing for your 4x4 gears are separate from the transaxle and has it's own oil.The coupler is probably stripped on the transaxle input shaft. You can put transaxle in gear and turn driveshaft and see if wheels turn then.

  9. #9Abiding Citizen2017-09-01 12:36

    Thanks for all he help trying to diagnose the problem everyone.. unfortunately i think its beyond my ability to fix it personally so it has been picked up to be repaired.. once its fixed i will try to remember to post the results of everything.. thanks again..

  10. #10Coy Lancaster2017-09-02 08:48

    Let me know how it goes please. I for one would like to know if I was right or wrong.

  11. #11Abiding Citizen2017-09-02 08:54

    Will do, i just hope its not gone too long, lol..

  12. #12Coy Lancaster2017-09-02 14:37

    Thanks brother

  13. #13Abiding Citizen2017-10-14 10:34

    Ok so justgot the backhoe back this morning and everything is working great.. the solution was" removed trans axle assembly replaced broken differential ring gear bolts". Was told the bolts had backed out and thats what caused our issue.. Hope this helps others in the future with their problems..