I have a Cat 416C that is having fuel problems. The operator stated that the engine died and would not restart. The upper fuel filter will not keep fuel in it, even when the engine is cranked the upper filter bleeds out, but the lower one is staying full. I replaced the fuel filters and the mechanical lift pump. I've checked all the fuel lines and seals also pressurized the fuel tank with air to see if fuel was getting to filter and lift pump. Any suggestions?
Any chance the fuel return from the injectors goes back to the filter? If it does, I'd disconnect that, plug the hole in the filter base, and see what comes out when you crank it. Otherwise, start using some clear tubing to figure out exactly where the air is coming from.
Would this machine happen to have the cold weather start assist?
Delmer; I changed the fuel supply line from the tank to the lower filter to no avail. When I crank the engine over it will suck the upper filter dry and even when I try to pump fuel manually with primmer pump.
dickjr. If cold start meaning a fuel line from upper filter to intake manifold with a wire going to it also then yes.
I don't know the order of the filters and priming pump on these, but I take it the first filter is on the suction side of the pump. If these filters are the canister/cartridge combination that has a seal and bowl on the bottom, then they are notorious for leaking, especially if the seal isn't perfect. The seal has to go in the housing first and then the filter goes on, IIRC. The cold start valve can leak back pretty easily too.
The lower filter is on suction side of pump as you said. I changed the fuel supply line today to no avail. I will check the cold start valve tomorrow, thank you for your help.
Those cold start lines that run around the head to the intake are trouble makers. Mine is still in place but I'd like to disconnect the fuel supply to it. If you can post a pic of the intake and exhaust setup. I just replaced everything from the turbo out on the exhaust. The little turbo adapter was 400$. The 90* to the muffler was a couple hundred. It was almost a grand in parts , which is completely ridiculous.
I deal with a company out of NY (Conequipment). They have great prices on most things for any piece of equipment. I talk to a nice lady named Laura Donnelly she is very helpful and returns calls asap.
Just wanted everyone to know that I got this backhoe running. I replaced the fuel line from the lower water separator filter to the lift pump and the upper filter gasket works fine now. Thanks to everyone that offered advise.