Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1993 Case 580 SK Extendahoe Hose Replacements

Ronald Edmon · 2020-04-04 19:11

I have a leak in 1 of the 2 hoses at the top of the dipper so I go about setting up the gantry to support the dipper, and extend the extendahoe (Bucket removed). I disconnect the two bucket hydraulic hoses and move down to removing the hydraulic hoses. Darned if I could get the hose connection broken free, and pulled out 2 three foot pipes for leverage and proceeded to break my 1 1/16 wrench. Pulled out my 12" Crescent and tried again and proceeded to break the Crescent jaw. That stopped all work as I don't have any other tools that large so I ordered some Tekton wrenches (1 1/16, and a 1 1/4) to get back to it. Questions I have are how much heat should I apply to the connection before going back at it and what tool brand should I plan on purchasing in the future to work on this beast. I am just a homeowner on 10 acres and my broken wrenches were craftsman. Lifetime warranty but having a heck of a time dealing with them. Hopefully the Tekton's are stronger wrenches, but I only want my future purchases to be made on tools capable of working on this old machine without breaking. Thanks in advance for your helpful comments. Ron

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2020-04-04 21:23

    Ideally, you want to tap the flat sides of the fittings between two hammers , using one as a dolly, but you may not have the space to do so. Use a solid piece of steel as a dolly & tap with a hammer. OR use an air hammer with a blunt adaptor on the flats of the fitting - don't get too carried away with this method as it will deform the hex of the fitting. - it will undo quite easily after that

  2. #2Ronald Edmon2020-04-04 22:41

    Since the hoses connect up to the hardline inside of the boom, space is very limited. However, I will try that as best I can, and if that doesn't do it, I will try an air hammer. Should I stay away from taking a torch to it to heat it up?

  3. #3alrman2020-04-04 22:46

    Absolutely!

  4. #4fpgm042020-04-05 00:13

    I have a 94 580SK, so I understand how stubborn some of the fittings can be. They can get corrosion in the threads and sometimes on the fitting’s flare-taper surface itself. Inspect your fitting once it is broken free, as it might need a little polishing/cleaning up before installing a new hose in order to get a good seal. Alrman gives good advice as to how to break the fittings free. I have never used heat nor anything close to 2, three foot leverage pipes. I actually own the same craftsman wrench which broke on you, but never have had any breakage. I did break a craftsman socket recently. The local Sears hometown store took it, and I had a new one in my mail box about a week later. Out of curiosity are you having trouble replacing the wrench with a local Sears store or dealing remotely?

  5. #5Ronald Edmon2020-04-05 00:29

    fpgm04, I don't know if I can say I am having any problem with the craftsman warranty just yet, however, I called them the day I broke both the 1 1/16" wrench and the 12" adjustable, and they opened up a case file on it but said their system was down and it would take an hour for it to go through and to call back in an hour. I called back but it was after their work hours so no connection. I then called back the following day and they said their system was still down and that I wouldn't need to call them back as the representative said he would personally follow the case and email me back once the system was up. That was 3 days ago and I haven't heard back from them so I will check with them on Monday or Tuesday next week. The Sears Hometown closed down in Placerville, CA and the one in Sacramento is temporarily closed so I went ahead and ordered the Tekton's and got those in today, but rain is forecasted through Monday. I will get back on it Tuesday and hopefully will get them broken loose. I will clean and polish all connections before putting it back together. Thanks, Ron