On the hood opening up. I ordered new piston cylinder specific to my year and model from bRokn tractor. Before I ordered new ones I could barely open the hood, just way to hard. Anyway got them a few days back Removed old ones was pretty easy. Installed new ones, SAME DEAL. ITS REALLY HARD TO OPEN. Any pointers on the correct way to install or did I just get yet another BAD UNIT. PLEASE help. Kindly. JC
The originals were not gas cylinders, they had springs in them set up to help lift it from closed, then go over center and help lift it all the way up. The springs go bad and I don't think you can get them anymore, or maybe they are just stupid expensive, I don't remember. The aftermarket gas cylinders are better than nothing, but not great.
If the machine has sat a while, the hood pivot points may need the rust cleaned out of them & some lube. I've opened many hoods without the gas struts/springs fitted, & they do have a bit of weight, but I can't imagine that if you have fitted new struts, that you should be having such a problem with it??
One problem I have seen was the hood mounted exhaust pipe leaning back just a little, causing it to interfere with the little pipe stub on top of the muffler. That hood was almost impossible to open by hand until I stood in front of the seat and pushed forward on the top of the exhaust pipe.
I'm dealing with the weight of the hood 100lbs book says, no pipes are catching dead weight with no help from cylinder piston rods . So yesterday I unattached both them, same dead weight, which tells me the pistons aren't doing anything. Something's not right here is there a right and wrong way to install
Mine is hard to open compared to say a riding lawnmower, but not overly difficult. I stand on the fuel tank and lift with both hands. Like already mentioned, clean and oil the pivot bolts on the front. There is also a limit cable down there, I think on the right side. Make sure that's not caught on something. I guess you could also have a bunch of dirt between the hood and the front counterweight that might be making it more difficult.
Well mines like very difficult to open. I also stand on front tire, driver's side but the so called helpers aren't helping, Saw utube video, guy unbolted hood side panel, Then installed pistons. I was considering trying this until I realized mine ain't like his