Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 CASE 580 SK Turbo, loader issue

Chris.lu · 2014-09-10 19:24

Hello all, In a short introduction, my name's Christophe and I live overseas in the country of wine and cheese. I bought a 1994 Case 580 SK Turbo (with European stabs, serial#JJH0047675) with 5700 hours on it. It is equipped with a front "4in1" bucket, an extandahoe and electric commands, joysticks are really great. It starts very well, run smooth with no smokes and has nearly no leaks. Here is the toy: In a short story long, it looks "nice" but, obviously there is one, there is a "small" issue with the 4in1 digging command. If all commands work well when operating the backhoe, including the bucket function, from time to time, I have an issue with the same function when switching on the 4in1 front bucket. Moving the right joystick right and left does nothing on the front bucket, I can't tilt the bucket. I guess this is due to a bad connection but where? I dismount almost everything, the right joystick, the control unit located under the seat, the right panel, I cleaned all connectors, tracked cut wires but the issue is still there. I have some CASE service manuals but not the ones corresponding to my backhoe, so I surely missed something somewhere... Any ideas would be welcome. If ever someone have the correct manuals that match my tractor, it will be very appreciated. Thanks a lot for your time and best regards, Chris.

Replies9
  1. #1Chris.lu2014-09-10 19:31

    Oops, the title did suffer of a log out, if a moderator could change it to "194 CASE 580 SK Turbo, loader issue". Thanks. Chris.

  2. #2mitch5042014-09-10 20:11

    I've never seen a K model w/ joysticks on the seat, I wonder if it's a europe only thing?

  3. #3melben2014-09-12 09:20

    Christophe, That is indeed a strange setup and one I have never seen here in the states, all loader functions here are rods direct to the spool and a wobblestick type linkage. And this is even back in the K models that you are showing us!! Even our N's have the old style. Is it a pilot type system that uses hydraulics to actuate the spools. Maybe alrman has seen this system, if so I'm sure he'll have some answers. Mel

  4. #4fpgm042014-09-12 19:37

    Those machines were a variant of the SK model and were called Servopower. I believe they were only available in Europe and possibly Australia. The Case Servopower machines were really ahead of their time. Not pilot controls, but electronic joysticks mounted on the seat armrests. Depending on which way the seat is facing, the function of the joysticks are different. (loader control or backhoe control) Chris.lu I unfortunately don’t have a service manual for this machine, but hopefully one of the European people on this forum would have some insight, or as Melben thought, Alrman might have some knowledge if they were sold down under. I would also think a European Case dealer could sell you a Servopower Service manual in the language of your choice. I believe Case produced these machines in both the France manufacturing facility and possibly later in Italy, so I would expect people in those countries to have some knowledge as well. In thinking about your issue, I seem to recall the switch on top of the right hand joystick changes the definition of joystick tilt left/right from normal bucket tilt to 4-in-1 open/close, if the top switch is pressed with joystick moved and seat facing forward. The same top switch on the right hand joystick is used to change the definition of bucket dump to extend-a-hoe in/out, if the top switch is pressed with joystick moved and the seat is facing the backhoe. Therefore, do you have any issues with extend-a-hoe and backhoe bucket functions? If not, then I would doubt the issue is in the joystick and switches. I would then think the issue is probably in the loader valve. Possibly a solenoid, but that is only a guess. Hopefully someone with Case Servopower experience can guide you further.

  5. #5Delmer2014-09-13 14:21

    In my vast experience with Case Servopower I have experience with BEER and cheese, is that close enough? Lacking any actual experience, I'd start at the hydraulic valve because that's the easiest place to find, follow the hydraulic lines from the 4in1 cylinder back. A pic of whatever physically operates that hydraulic valve would be helpful. I'd suggest using some test leads to see what's going on with the voltage when that function is working and then when it's not working, to determine if you have a problem with the valve control or the electrical control, "upstream or downstream" if you will, but if that uses servos as the name suggests then the valve might talk back to the electrical and deciding what's "upstream and downstream" gets more cloudy.

  6. #6alrman2014-09-14 06:37

    .... better late than never...... 580SK's with servo controls have indeed made it to Aussie shores - but in very limited number. They were named "580SK Prestige" (that may help Chris locate some info) - but very few were ever sold due to high purchase price & the fact that they were so different/complex than the standard model, scared most buyers away. I have never actually worked on one but I may have some schematics around somewhere....... if that would actually help.....

  7. #7Desertwheeler2014-09-14 09:02

    I can't help you with youur problem but have to say I always thought a backhoe with that setup would be sweet! Hope you get it figured out.

  8. #8Chris.lu2014-11-06 12:33

    Hello everybody, First, sorry for my late, late, very late reply. 24h a day is really not enough to do all, I was very busy and the backhoe was not a top priority. Now that things calm down, I can come back to my little toy and its issue. First, thanks a lot for all of your answers. I confirm these commands are great and in my opinion, these a far easier to handle compare to the regular rods. I'm surprised that this kind of setup does not exist in USA, usually funny and nice options are first available in America before Europe. To answer to fpgm04, the switch on the top of the right stick is only to extend/retract the extandhaoe when the seat is facing the rear and the open/close the 4in1 when facing to the front. To handle how the system switch the hydraulics to the 4in1 or the backhoe, there is 2 way: There is a "3 positions" switch on the left armrest to manage the hydraulics, one position for the 4in1, one for the backhoe and the last one for an automatic mode, in this case there is a position switch integrated in the seat rotation mechanism to switch where the hydraulic power goes. To come back to my issue, I do cleaned all, when I say all, I say that I dismount everything in the cabin, start the high pressure washer and lighten the tractor from at least 10kg of grease, dust, sand, mud, rocks... Once dry, i checked that everything was fine: same as before with the same issue. I cleaned the incriminated valve as suggested by Delmer but without success, the valve is working well. I noticed that when I lean on the seat in a certain position, the tilt of the front loader works again, I guess the source of my issue is there. I starting my training in contortionism to access the control unit located under the seat. I start to shake all cable one by one while the tractor is running and I found a weak pin in a big connector. Once this fixed, the command now works very well... YESSSSSS !!!!!..... Yes, but :-( I now lost the open/close of the front bucket and the rear extandahoe. This time the issue is the same for both side of the tractor. Another weak connection or a cut wire I guess. View attachment 126449 On this control unit there is also a variator, I guess this aims to adjust the right joystick zero point because turning the variator make the front bucket tilt up and down. Regarding manuals, operator or repair, I contact several local CASE dealer to find the repair manual that match my backhoe model but it seems to be not so easy to get manuals for such an old backhoe, I may have to deal with second hand vendors. Best regards, Christophe.

  9. #9Dickjr.2014-11-07 15:00

    This has to be one of the coolest things I've seen on this forum to date. Seat looks like that of the Starship Enterprise. I often wondered why they never did that , but evidentially they did and I didn't know it. The other thing I see coming is a hydrostat in a full size backhoe with the rocker pedal for forward / reverse. I'd like to see more close up pics of that machine , the valve for the hoe etc.