Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How easy is it to fix a fuel pump on Case 580K?

brebisson ยท 2014-09-10 10:38

Hello, The fuel pump of my Case 580K is leaking (around where the throttel control arm is)... I was wondering how hard/easy it is to fix? I am not a mech, but I am relatively handy (I have rebuild, with suxess a MG Midget engine, for example)... Are they any big gotchas? any springs that will jump everywhere when I open the thing? Cyrille

Replies10
  1. #1AllDodge2014-09-10 13:00

    Not a case expert but your saying it's leaking around the throttle control arm. The control arm is attached to the governor part of the injection pump. I'm pretty handy as well but I wouldn't mess with the injection pump unless it was something simple like the outer seal.

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-10 13:24

    I'm not sure what kind of pump that is, but they're usually not that bad. You have to disconnect the springs and linkages and get them hooked up in the SAME hole that they came out of. You might run into some wear in the bore or shaft, but you'll probably be fine with new seals. ULSD seems to make them leak. Of course the years aren't nice to rubber either.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2014-09-10 18:08

    Roosa Master/Stanadyne pump?? Simple fix.. Shut off the fuel at the tank.. Loosen the side cover screws to drain the fuel from the pump... Remove the top cover.. There will be a clip that holds the 2 shafts together.. remove it.. The shafts have an oring on each.. replace orings and reinstall shafts and clip.. Don't forget to turn the fuel back on..

  4. #4kshansen2014-09-10 18:42

    Pumpguy, Giving away info like that's not going to pay for that fishing motor repair! Next time offer to send info for $5.00

  5. #5thepumpguysc2014-09-11 05:41

    LOL.. Advice is free.. parts cost money.. Besides, one of our fine upstanding members from NY has already contributed to the cause.. Just need 1 or 2 more to break even..

  6. #6kshansen2014-09-11 12:44

    Wish I could offer some help but most of my toys are old 650 Yamahas and a pair of Sportsters!

  7. #7melben2014-09-12 09:09

    All the Ks I've ever worked on had the CAV rotary. I've changed a lot of Orings and the only slight challenge is getting the shutoff pin aligned with its slot upon reassembly. I take the throttle linkage off the top of the pump, push the linkage arm down into the pump and let all linkage hooked up till the cover is out of the way. I do not remove the little rivet like spring retainer end at all. reassemble with new seals, put the new gasket in place lower the cover and work the shaft back up through the cover. Make sure the shutoff pin is engaged in its slot and reassemble. That's my procedure, your mileage will vary. Mel

  8. #8thepumpguysc2014-09-12 19:08

    Mel.. THAT IS the correct procedure for a CAV..

  9. #9bobbyblades2014-09-24 02:15

    ebay

  10. #10bobbyblades2014-09-24 02:17

    this may fit 580k too?