I have a 2006 Cat 416E Backhoe,4x4 with ride control but it isn't working properly. It has the two position rocker switch (on/off). When on the ride control works slightly to a point where the loader will cushion small movements by about a 1/2" but when you hit a bump you definately notice its not working. If you turn the switch off there is a noticable difference between on and off. I tested the solenoids and am getting a reading of 8 ohms resistance across both. So my question is does anyone know if there are any other tests I can do myself or does this require a Cat technician. I know there is a pressure switch, don't know if it can be tested, and an arc suppressor but not sure what it does, and the accumulator but unsure on a test for this as well.
Sounds like the accumulator needs to be charged with nitrogen. You need a nitrogen charge kit to check it. I say this because you are seeing 1/2 inch movement with it turned on which usually means the accumulators low and bottoming out .
I have a buddy who is an agricultural equip. tech. and he though he might be able to charge it. Any idea on what psi it is charged to and if the fittings are universal. Or would I be looking at a seal kit as well?
I would need a serial number to be sure but the one I looked up is charged to 270 psi. It uses the small tire valve stem size charge port. These are fairly common. I was looking at a CDB serial number prefix. I would try a recharge first. When he is charging he can see if it leaks down quickly and needs resealing. It will probably be ok with just a charge. It is common for them to leak a bit internally because they are just a piston with seals.
So a bit of time between threads but I checked the nitrogen and its still charged at just over 280 psi, still the same symptoms, moves slightly but seems when you hit a larger bump in the road the loader rises but doesn't seem to settle quick enough to smooth the ride. What next? Pressure switch? Coil? Valves? help I'm lost.
It would help to know the machine Serial Number, or at least the S/N prefix, so that those of us with access to Cat systems can look up System Operation and testing information and be sure that we are giving you correct advice/info.
serial #SHA0059