Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 international 4700 no turn signals or hazards

mattyt1984 · 2020-05-05 20:55

I purchased this truck and all is good except no turn signals or hazards. I put on a new turn signal switch all fuses are good. I have no power wires at all going to the hazard switch. If I hot wire the wires coming from the turn signal switch one by one I get front left turn front right turn left rear and right rear. However it doesn't go thru the flasher. I also tried a new flasher. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Replies17
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-05-05 21:18

    Does the harness for the signal switch have a main connection mid way?

  2. #2mattyt19842020-05-05 21:20

    IF you mean the turn signal switch yes about a foot below where it is mounted there are 2 wiring plugs one has about 4 wires the other about 8. This is where I hotwired it and I got turn signals to light up but not flash.

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-05-05 21:35

    Well start tracing it back from that point to power distribution box is the best I can say at this point. Maybe others on here will chime in. No power to flasher, you sure you found all the fuses?

  4. #4mattyt19842020-05-05 21:38

    Yes there is power to flasher and when I put my test light on the output of flasher my test light flashed.

  5. #5Truck Shop2020-05-05 21:41

    What kind of lights/tail lights are in this truck? Is the flasher a cheap tin can type?

  6. #6mattyt19842020-05-05 21:45

    They are all truck lite

  7. #7Truck Shop2020-05-05 21:48

    LED's or incandescent sealed beams? The flasher is it a cheap type with metal can?

  8. #8mattyt19842020-05-05 21:50

    sealed beams there looks to be 2 flashers I am guessing one for front one for rear. I do not know for sure. But they are metal square type.

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-05-05 22:05

    One is for hazard the other for signals. Normally the flasher will be a Grote type about 2" long plastic housing. Well you've lost connection to the signal switch, start tracing wires. my best advise.

  10. #10mattyt19842020-05-06 07:58

    Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I see I have 1 hot wire to turn signal switch. Is this hot wire fed from the flasher? Or does it go thru flasher after the turn signal switch?

  11. #11Truck Shop2020-05-06 21:10

    Basic diagram

  12. #12mattyt19842020-05-07 21:13

    I still have not figured this out. Both flashers seem to work when I put a test light on the output side it makes the test light blink. If I take a hot wire from battery and touch 4 of the wires coming from turn signal switch they light up. There is one for the front right front left rear right and rear left. IS there anywhere I can get a wiring diagram for international?

  13. #13mattyt19842020-05-07 21:29

    my signal stat is model 900 has one 3 wire plug and a 6 wire plug

  14. #14mattyt19842020-05-08 21:47

    Figured it out it was missing this relay Potter & Brumfield KRPA-11DG-12 12VDC Relay. It was missing and I didnt notice until I started following all the wires.

  15. #15Coaldust2020-05-09 01:22

    Good troubleshooting!!

  16. #16mattyt19842020-05-09 19:08

    Now that the turn signals running light headlights and hazards work the brakes do not. When I hit the brake the front turn signals light up. Could the relay be the wrong one?

  17. #17Coaldust2020-05-09 22:33

    Probably not the wrong relay. The brake lights might not have a good ground, and the only ground available is through the front turn signals. Electricity takes the path of least resistance. Or, the Stop/Turn/Tail lamp bulbs are not wired correctly. I don’t recall what sort of lamps it had in the rear. Or, someone did something weird like install 1156 bubs instead of 1157’s.