Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b CK won’t move

ericwerfel · 2024-10-03 13:16

My Case 580b CK (late 70s) won't move. Disclosure... I'm a total newbie and much of the terminology is still Greek to me. Transmission fluid looks ok. The power shuttle fluid, however, was empty. At least, that's what i think it was; it was a dipstick just in front of the stick shifter (ie the N/1/2/3/4 stick). Filled that, and still nothing. If I lift the wheels off the ground, they spin slowly backwards, regardless of whether the shuttle is in forward/reverse/neutral. But not enough power to move the machine with wheels on ground. Adding throttle does not make them move faster. Pressing the clutch does make them stop moving. I've been reading about a power shuttle control valve, but have little idea of how this all works. what is the function of a valve here? I think I've located it: there's a lever towards the inside of the machine that moves when I shift the shuttle. There are two hydraulic(?) lines connected. These are connected to the radiator, and something else (pump?) in front of the radiator. But not connected to the 'main' pump that runs the hydraulics. Is this a second hydraulic (or, rather, a transmission oil) pump? or possibly a filter? in the manual, these lines are labeled 'oil cooler tubes' which, i guess, makes sense, since they do pass through the radiator. I saw another forum, someone mentioned the 'pickup screen' could be clogged; where/what is that? If someone could just outline what's supposed to happen (eg the knee-bone's connected to the thigh-bone) that would be so helpful in terms of figuring out how to diagnose the problem. thanks in advance,

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-10-03 16:15

    U might be on something with the “pick-up screen”..?? There’s been “a few” articles written on it in this forum.. U can access it from the outside by drilling a hole in the housing and blowing it out.. I don’t know the particulars.. so that’s all I got.. I hope it leads u down the right path.. Good luck

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2024-10-04 21:43

    The two lines that you are talking about are the filter and cooler lines for shuttle. There is a filter in front of the radiator, you might want to check that. What does the machine sound like when it is running? Does it sound like it's starving for oil? The shuttle pump is in the torque housing under the control valve. Loosen the lines and see if you're getting oil out of either one.

  3. #3ericwerfel2024-10-06 16:50

    Thanks for the info. I don't know enough to say what it sounds like. My more knowledgeable neighbor commented (when we started it for the first time in four years) that the motor sounds good, and I checked the motor oil before doing so. but you're talking about shuttle or transmission oil, I'm assuming? I will check the filter, and loosen the lines as you said. Those sounds like probable, and easy, things to check. Do you mind explaining what the shuttle pump does? I can't find an explanation anywhere, though I think it's bc i lack the knowledge to ask the right question

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2024-10-06 18:10

    The gear pump in the torque tube supplies oil for the forward and reverse function and the torque convertor.