Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 cat 3116

Willy9r · 2023-09-28 18:15

Cat 3116 will run for 15 minutes at a time then shuts off any help?

Replies22
  1. #1ahart2023-09-28 21:13

    First off, welcome aboard, glad to have you. I see this is your first post so you’re likely not familiar with how we like to be fed our information. A serial number of the machine if it is a Cat machine, or an engine serial number of the engine is a must so we can source the correct information to help. Also, any relevant information leading up to or after this problem started is helpful. Anything you’ve already tried or replaced. Service history, how long you’ve owned the piece of equipment if in fact you do, etc.

  2. #2Delmer2023-09-28 22:39

    How about this, does it make any difference if it's just idling or it's running with load? That's a very simple and reliable system, as long as you don't have to bleed it, or adjust it, and NOTHING goes wrong. If it starts fine, we'll assume it's not sucking air. Does it start fine? How long does it have to sit until it will restart? like if you walk away and try the next day, will it restart immediately, or crank forever and barely start? Check the shut off solenoid is getting voltage, then when it dies, check that the shut off solenoid still has continuity, ohm reading if you can.

  3. #3Willy9r2023-09-29 08:29

    No it starts hard we put starting fluid to it. It’s just at idle and every time it’s at the 15 minute mark and it shuts off then I go back a few hours later and it does the same thing and the filter on the motor has fuel in it I’ll get the s# for the engine in a little while I just got the truck two days ago it has 58000 miles on it and when it’s running it sounds perfect

  4. #4Willy9r2023-09-29 08:42

    Ser no 8wL02135 I here the clicking of the solenoid but have not tested the sov and I can also hold down the throttle or let it idle it runs the same until about 15 minutes every time it shuts off

  5. #5Dave Neubert2023-09-29 08:43

    does it start hard all the time

  6. #6Willy9r2023-09-29 08:55

    Yes

  7. #7Willy9r2023-09-29 08:55

    Yes it starts hard every time

  8. #8Willy9r2023-09-29 08:59

    Would the shut off switch have anything to do with it starting hard?

  9. #9Mobiltech2023-09-29 09:06

    Check the fuel tank breather to make sure it’s not drawing a vacuum in the tank or try running it with the cap off. Doesn’t sound like a long enough time to create much vacuum but worth a look. It could possibly be the fuel shutoff either getting hot and not staying in the run position or a loss of supply power. 3116s use a powered to run shutoff solenoid when installed in a 12 volt truck.

  10. #10Willy9r2023-09-29 09:11

    It’s a 12 volt truck and I tried it with the cap off I’m not very good with this engine I don’t even know where the shut off is I know where the solenoid is because I can here it click

  11. #11Dave Neubert2023-09-29 14:06

    You need injectors replaced they have to be set up with special CAT tooling. Better do the injector tubes wile in there

  12. #12Delmer2023-09-30 00:08

    injectors will make it shut off after fifteen minutes? I'd check the continuity and voltage of the solenoid. Nothing else makes any sense for quitting at fifteen minutes. The solenoid or supply could, possibly?

  13. #13Willy9r2023-09-30 06:58

    I know and it’s on a timer it’s like 15 minutes every time

  14. #14Delmer2023-09-30 10:03

    You know where the solenoid is, or find it on youtube. It's got one or two wires going to it, check that those have voltage to one of them with the key on, then after it dies. Likewise, check the resistance of the solenoid, before starting and after it dies. That's the only electronic control on the engine, so that narrows it down to engine, or not engine electronically speaking. Those plastic lines are liable to crack or leak at the o rings, I think I've removed the quick couplers and lightly heated the plastic hose and fit it right over the metal "barb". Have you replaced the first fuel filter, primary by the tank?

  15. #15Willy9r2023-09-30 10:19
  16. #16Willy9r2023-09-30 10:22

    So I was getting fuel to the second filter that’s on the motor now I’m getting fuel to the block by the mechanical pump.but now it’s not coming through the block too the second filter

  17. #17Dave Neubert2023-09-30 14:40

    No but hard starting is a problem when injectors are bad

  18. #18Willy9r2023-09-30 15:55

    How do I test this solenoid to find out is it’s working should there be power coming from it or does it just let power come in and out of it

  19. #19Delmer2023-09-30 23:35

    with the wires connected, check if there is voltage present with the key on, then check again that there is voltage present with the key still on after it has died, should get 12V. Remove the hot wire, and check the continuity, Ohms if you have a good ohm meter. Check ohms the same way, cold before starting with the key off so you don't short out the hot feed, and again after checking for voltage after it dies, shut the key off and check ohms hot.

  20. #20Dave Neubert2023-10-01 07:07

    It is a 2 step solenoid is a 2 step one is hot when ignition is on the other is hot wile cranking the one that is hot wile cranking pulls it in the one with the ignition holds it after it is pulled in

  21. #21Willy9r2023-10-01 07:49

    Ok so if I did this right I’m getting an average of 9v to 10v from the solenoid when I first tried it I got 12v then dropped and stayed at 9v every time I checked it after and I noticed that before the truck dies it sounds like it wants to die real fast rpm cuts out then revs back up then dies a few minutes later

  22. #22Dave Neubert2023-10-01 14:25

    that sounds to low maybe use a jumper wire on it and see if it stays running