Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Eaton Weathered T420

HarleyHappy · 2023-09-28 11:06

So, I recently acquired this hose crimper and am ordering Weatherhead U series fittings as I will mostly be using 2 wire hoses. My issue is that the specs for the nominal crimp diameter are only spect to weatherhead hoses. I plan on using different hose of course and so far, after spending a few hours online, no hose manufacturer lists any cross comparisons to any H Weatherhead style hose. I would like to order 1/4” to 3/4” and stay with the same brand so I can use the spacers correctly for the proper crimp. I have reached out to Eaton and a few other places online and no results. I have even reached out to a few hose manufacturers, with no results. Any ideas, I would like a good, safe crimp?

Replies10
  1. #11693TA2023-09-28 13:04

    I ordered a spool of R-16 3/8 hose from discount hydraulic hose and put several fittings on different lengths of this hose following the H245 series dimensions. Never had any problems in the four or five.years since. Used a combination of genuine Eaton Weatherhead fittings and their fittings. That was on a hydraulic tail trailer with a plethora of hoses. None gave any problems.

  2. #2JL Sargent2023-09-28 13:13

    So your crimper probably uses doughnut shaped plates for proper crimping depth. There is a book/charts that tell you the proper plate for each application. I have a Weatherhead crimper myself and use those charts as a starting place for crimping the fittings. I have never known the exact spec diameter, and I have never had one leak or fail. I guess you could measure the fittings on the old hose and crimp to that.

  3. #3Swetz2023-09-28 15:17

    HarleyHappy, I am in the parker line, so I am not all that familiar with what you have. That said, I have been making hoses for years using the Balflex hose sold by Universal Hose & Fitting. I use the 100R16 series hose. My crimper is portable, so it is not made to make anything heavier than 2-wire. Anyhow, before I ordered, I called and talked to them, and they assured me that as long as I am using hose that meets the spec for the 100R-16, the parker equivilent should be followed. Parker provides a crimp to diameter, and I am sure your brand does as well. If you crimp to this diameter, and use hose that meets the spec, you should be fine. As I said before, I have not had a hose failure since making my hoses. On another note, Universal Hose & Fitting sells USA made aftermarket fittings for the various brands. These fitings are made by couplimatic. They are available eleswhere, but Universal Hose & Fitting seems to have decent pricing, and quick service. Universal Hose & Fittings The Problem Solvers: We are your one stop and shop supplier for everything Hydraulic Hose, Hydraulic Fittings, Industrial Fittings, Industrial Hose, Yard Hose & More! Knowledgeable staff and same day shipping on most orders! www.universalhoseandfittings.com

  4. #4HarleyHappy2023-09-29 09:41

    Thank you, all. I actually found the crossover on the DHH website, it was listed in their hose description, I was looking at their spec sheet and it was not there. I have used the T420 to make hoses about 30 years ago. So, I am familiar with what a good crimp looks like and what not but then we were using Weatherhead hose, which at the time was affordable so we had the spec sheets. I have downloaded them and was always taught to measure the crimp diameter for safety. Lol I am only missing the T420 3/4” die for 4 and 6 wire hose, I may buy one off eBay but not exactly sure how many HD hoses I will be making. I worked in a sawmill and most of their equipment we put 4 wire hoses back then. I think a good 2 wire hose is quite fine for most applications.

  5. #51693TA2023-09-29 10:05

    I use four wire hose on a lot of combine repair hoses. Much of these machines are hydrostatic driven and original hoses are four wire.

  6. #6Swetz2023-09-29 10:33

    Glad to hear you found what you need! I purchased a die (5/8") for my machine on ebay...NOS at a fraction of what most wanted, and had it in days. I think 2-wire is common, but you gotta look at the pressures. I kno my excavator has some large size hoses that are beyond the 2-wire pressure design.

  7. #7excavator2023-09-29 11:42

    If I remember correctly, Kurt Hydraulics line of hose and fittings interchange with Weatherhead and are less money.

  8. #8HarleyHappy2023-09-30 12:23

    Not sure I need a 5/8” die as it’s not that common. I am interested in getting the 3/4 T420 die and stocking some Z fittings, or just order hose and fittings if someone needs them. I don’t mind carrying a good stock of 2 wire fittings but not sure how often I may need 4 or 6 wire. I have replaced a couple of hoses on my Case 580 SE and they were what looked like 4 wire factory hoses after I cut one open. I replaced with 2 wire a few years ago as I know my pressure relief valve on the loader opens at about 2600 psi.

  9. #9Swetz2023-09-30 12:30

    LOL...That is what I thought too!. Well, the second hose that blew on my New Holland 675E was 5/8". NH uses crazy size hose and like NH575E pointed out, they often use fittings that are one size for a hose, and a different on the fitting end=$$. If you dont have 5/8", you are good to go.

  10. #101693TA2023-09-30 13:11

    I would get that die. If you see any CNH stuff you will see either 5/8", or 16mm hose fairly regularly. I think you need a green flange to crimp it correctly also.