Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Ford L9000 – Wireing or Sensor Problem – Both brake lts and cruise not working??

Debris Dave ยท 2013-02-24 13:53

We recently moved this truck across the country. When I reached Tx. the brake lights stopped working. Then two days later I lost all lights and cruise. I ran a new ground and was able to restore all lights but the brake lights, and the cruise is still not functioning. Can anyone help with this???

Replies9
  1. #1Water Doc2013-02-24 17:04

    Air brakes or juice? Either way check the brake light switch for proper operation.

  2. #2Mike L2013-02-24 17:43

    what he said

  3. #3johndeere1232013-02-24 17:48

    Do your signals and running lights work? or is everything on the back not working?

  4. #4Debris Dave2013-02-24 20:26

    To: WaterDoc Air brakes. Thank You I will check that.

  5. #5Debris Dave2013-02-24 20:28

    All lights work but the brake lights and cruise.

  6. #6johndeere1232013-02-24 21:36

    Im not sure about the cruise, but for the brake lights I would start at the switch on the outside of the firewall and make sure all is good there, then the signal lever in the cab, and if its neither of those, Im pretty sure that truck uses fuseable links in the wiring. I think we had a 9000 in the shop a while ago with the same light problem and it was a fuseable link. I think it was under the passenger side of the cab if I remember correctly.

  7. #7Debris Dave2013-02-24 23:54

    A little more info - Sorry I didn't ask these questions the first time. I looked at the fuseable links (they are inside the cab behind the passenger seat). They all looked intact. There are (what appears) to be two valves or some type of switches under the hood. One has two wires and one has three. Can anyone tell me what there function is, and can I bypass one for testing purposes. Also can air pressure affect the brake lights? Are the cruise and brake lights on the same circuit?? :Banghead

  8. #8Mike L2013-02-25 05:33

    air pressure can affect brake lights on some trucks. the cruise is tied in with your brake switch so when you step on the brakes, your cruise will cancel out

  9. #9Debris Dave2013-02-25 22:19

    Thank You for that info. I will replace the brake switch and see what happens.