Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Hitachi EX300LC-3C Isuzu engine main seal replacement?

mr.kdk ยท 2014-07-06 19:47

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the main seal on an Isuzu 6SDT1 engine on a hitachi ex300lc-3c. I am getting quite a bit of oil dripping from the pulley area of the engine when I run it for a while . I think it is coming from the front main seal. Just was wondering if I had to pull the engine or could I do it by removing the radiator. Thanks for any help.

Replies5
  1. #1brianbulldozer2014-07-07 18:51

    Don't know how applicable my experience is, but since no one else has replied: I replaced front main seal on a Hitachi EX150 with Isuzu 4BT engine without removing engine or radiator. Removed the counterweight, fan, and shroud, fabricated tool to engage the recesses in the pulley to hold the crankshaft while removing the nut, removed the pulley and replaced seal. Went well. As I recall there is a key on the crank that I was careful about not dropping into the engine front cover.

  2. #2mr.kdk2014-07-07 19:05

    Thanks for your input. Was yours leaking oil there and did you have to replace the wear ring also?

  3. #3brianbulldozer2014-07-07 19:13

    Yes, it was leaking oil past the seal. I installed a Speedi-sleeve on the crank because there was a pretty good groove. Can't recall that it had a wear ring installed from the factory.

  4. #4excavator2014-07-08 01:10

    It's been a long while but I've done a 300-3 and a 330-5 and I didn't pull the radiator. Remove the fan and the shroud, it's a bit tight but you should have enough room.

  5. #5mr.kdk2014-07-08 07:19

    Did you replace the wear ring also or just the seal? Thanks