Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 JCB 214e backhoe will crank and idle but will not accelerate.

Diggerman1 · 2022-07-31 13:08

I am new to the forum but I have read multiple posts concerning lack of acceleration. I have checked throttle linkages and all appears ok. The engine is a Perkins. 4 cylinder with a Delphi type 1291 fuel injector. I have installed new fuel filter and fuel sediment bowl, bled the fuel lines to remove air after installing the fuel filter. The tractor will crank easily but tach ometer never gets above 550 RPM. All hydraulics work, loader, hoe, outriggers, but very slowly due to no power. Since I have not used the machine in a few months I keep about 12 gallons of fuel in the tank and add Sea Foam or similar fuel additives. The local JCB dealer in NC does not work on Perkins engines and everyone I have reached out to are not familiar with the Delphi injection pump. I have spent countless hours online searching for the " fix" for this lack of power. There is no change in idle speed when I manually move the lever on fuel pump which is attached to the throttle cable. The machine will slightly move when shifting from forward to reverse on steering column. I purchased the machine in 2004 from Sunbelt Rentals and have never had a problem with it until recently. I first suspected it was fuel starved and trying the simplest remedies first before delving into replacing fuel injectors. I was told by one mechanic that if the machine will crank and idle, I did not have a fuel injector problem. I read a post last night on this site that gook can get struck in the fuel return line and present the symptoms I have described. I had major heart surgery 45 days ago and just now getting to the point I can use the machine IF I can solve the no power issue. I have been told that I may have to have the injector pump rebuilt which is about $ 500 plus labor to remove it and re-install it , another $ 400.00. Does the water pump have to be removed to access the bolts securing the injector pump? I am not a mechanic by any means and just trying to understand all the processes. I do know that, when removing the injector pump, you must note the location of the timing marks and re-install on the same marks. Many thanks to anyone who can assist me with solving this problem. Digger1

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952022-07-31 14:46

    Welcome to the Forums DGM1! Glad to have you. Unfortunately I am not much help mechanically however we do have several knowledgable members that generously share their knowledge. On another thread about JCB someone mentioned that Sunbelt works on JCB and you said you bought the machine from them. Have you reached out to your local branch?

  2. #2Delmer2022-07-31 16:06

    I try to stay out of injection pumps, especially this Delphi, seems like it could get complicated maybe? But this one from 96 and from pictures online doesn't seem to have much electronics on it, so I'll guess it's similar to other hydraulically controlled rotary pumps. If it was mine, I'd put a gallon of acetone in that 12 gallons of diesel, and let it run with the throttle set as fast as it will go, shut it off or add more fuel before it runs out. After it's run an hour or four, flick the throttle linkages back and forth, and shut it off and back on immediately a few times. Hopefully Thepumpguy will be along with better advice, otherwise you'll be pulling it eventually.

  3. #3Diggerman12022-07-31 16:22

    Hi CM1195, Thanks for reaching out. A couple of years after I purchased my backhoe from Sunbelt, they started farming all JCB work out to Company Wrench in Smithfield, NC. That outfit is out of Texas. I wasted over $3k with them plus another $700 for transport to and from their shop. They do not work on Perkins engines or Delphi fuel injectors. I had to purchase a small glass fuel sediment bowl from the recently for $ 45 plus $45 for shipping 30 miles. Lesson learned! I did read a couple of posts from The Pump Guy in Sunny SC who appears to have a good following and knowledgeable about fuel injection pumps. I have spent the better part of the day reading numerous posts related to what " could" be my problem(s) and I am impressed with the apparent talent ,skills, and helpful attitude of the member's posts. Digger 1

  4. #4Diggerman12022-07-31 16:32

    Delmer, Thanks for the fast reply. I agree that the Pump Guy in Sunny SC will provide some very helpful info. In reading a few of the other posts today on similar issues from other members, I could possible be looking at a blockage in the return fuel line. I did add about 32Oz of Sea Foam additive in the 12 gallons of diesel and let her run about 30 mi. She will just not throttle up even when manually moving the throttle lever on the injection pump. Thanks again for your suggestion about the acetone. Certainly worth a try. Diggerman1.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2022-07-31 21:48

    I found u.. Here’s a couple of checks u can do to give us an idea of the problem.. (I think I know already) Unscrew the return connector, it’s the long one closest to the front of the pump.. look at the threads.. r they rusted.?? Try unscrewing anything that u can , that won’t cause to much trouble and check the threads.. I’m thinking the metering valve is rusted in the low idle position.. Seeing this pump has an electric shut off, the metering valve would be in the low idle position when the engine was shut down by the electric solenoid.. If this was a “normal” DPA pump, u could pull the top cover & free the mv.. But it’s not and u can’t.. The # your reading from the name plate is a MOD... (modification) not the model number.. the model is next to it.. 8923a????