Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 EX100-1 track adjuster

Chris1113 · 2025-03-29 09:01

Just got the track adjuster out yesterday. I bought this excavator monday and previous owner broke the zerk fitting off. Wondering do they usually come out with the metal casing around it? Is it required to be installed back with it? Thanks

Replies26
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-03-29 09:33

    Welcome to HEF Chris . Looking at the picture ,The round flange should be positioned tight against the face of the nut. When you remove the metal casing I think you are going to find the large spring is broken. The metal casing was welded to the inside of the track frame. I wouldn’t leave it out as it helps to keep dirt out of the spring area of the adjuster.

  2. #2Chris11132025-03-29 09:52

    Thank you Dave! That helps a lot. I had order some new grease fittings for it. Im guessing ill need to order a new adjuster then lol. I was confused at first wondering how they managed to do this, seems someone broke out half the grease fitting then tapped grease threads into the already existing broken off grease fitting. Previous owner went to take out the grease fitting because he said it wasnt taking any grease then im guessing he thought he broke it.

  3. #3Chris11132025-03-29 12:39
  4. #4Diesel Dave2025-03-29 15:16

    That spring had a hard life.

  5. #5Chris11132025-03-29 20:54

    It lives to fight another day. I put that **** back in there lol. Had to weld a rod on it and tap a 1/8” npt for the grease fitting. Its holding up for now until I get a new adjuster. Harbor freight grease fitting… lol somehow holding the pressure

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-03-30 02:32

    Looks like the whole machine has had a hard life.

  7. #7HarleyHappy2025-03-30 06:49

    Thanks Dave, that got coffee all over the monitor, caught me just right. I agree.

  8. #8Chris11132025-03-30 08:24

    Yea it has 5900 hours but it needs some tlc. I got it for $10k, i plan on using it to clear some land. Engine sounds great. The boom cylinder needs to be repacked eventually because of a small leak. Im going to change out all the filters soon. Possibly the gear oil in the drive motors and swing motor. Trying to get it caught up on maintenance lol. I need to flush the coolant because looks disgusting. I dug this stump out in like two seconds before I shut it off.

  9. #9Chris11132025-03-30 08:39

    Is the serial number stamped anywhere besides on the left side of the cab? Looks like its not here anymore. Trying to figure out if its a -1 or -2.

  10. #10Diesel Dave2025-03-30 10:14

    If the monitor looks like either one below it is a -1 .

  11. #11Diesel Dave2025-03-30 10:17

    If the monitor looks like below it is a -2 Or -3 .

  12. #12Chris11132025-03-30 11:06

    Wow good looks to be a -2 or -3 then. Thats great. I would like to convert the manual throttle lever to the electronic throttle control one. Need to read read up on how to do that. The current one is jury rigged

  13. #13Chris11132025-03-30 11:08

    Engine is 4DB1 PZ. Mustve been replaced at one point

  14. #14Diesel Dave2025-03-30 11:12

    Not necessarily, my info lists that engine in a -2 and a -3

  15. #15Diesel Dave2025-03-30 11:15

    To help figure out if it’s a -2 or -3 see the (2) hydraulic pump screenshots below.. .

  16. #16Chris11132025-03-30 11:18

    Oh ok good. Looking over the engine, found this on the exhaust manifold side. Havent had a chance to look into isuzu engine layout and where everything is. Leaking from oil cooler maybe?

  17. #17Chris11132025-03-30 11:18

    Ok ill take a look

  18. #18Chris11132025-03-30 11:22

    Yea its a -2. Pump hooks off to the left side like in the pic.

  19. #19Diesel Dave2025-03-30 11:31

    Fixing up the electronic throttle might get expensive quick . I would do the service and put some hours on it to help uncover any surprises.

  20. #20Chris11132025-03-30 14:23

    Ok good to know, ill hold off on that then

  21. #21Welder Dave2025-03-30 20:12

    I think having electronic throttle is just something else to go wrong, especially on a machine that has been abused and neglected.

  22. #22Chris11132025-03-30 20:56

    Yea true. I might just get a new lever and cable and go with the manual lever. Flushed coolant system today, added new coolant, topped off the oil a bit until I get new filters. Also put some hotshot secrets in the fuel figured it wouldnt hurt. Dug some more stumps out to get it heated up. All the gauges are working. Im guessing the thermostat is working too. Didn’t get too hot at all. I plan on getting new front idlers and adjusters but going to get them from china haha. Forgot to mention the previous owner rebuilt the swing motor. Checked the oil level today and its good too. Undercarriage needs some love though.

  23. #23Welder Dave2025-03-30 21:32

    Check with Trek/DCF for idlers and other undercarriage components. Some is from China and some is from Korea. It is decent quality and a known brand with a good warranty. I'd be leary of some random Chinese idlers nobody has heard of with questionable QC and next to impossible to get warranty if there's an issue. Trek has several warehouses in N. America as well.

  24. #24Chris11132025-03-30 21:35

    Oh ok Ill check with them first to see then

  25. #25Chris11132025-03-31 10:49

    @Welder Dave @Diesel Dave Do yall happen to have pictures of how the throttle cable is ran from the engine to the lever in the cab?

  26. #26Chris11132025-03-31 14:02

    Nevermind I found it in the repair manual.