Hello, I have been hoping to sell my digger but there always seems to be a new issue. I normally drive it in second gear but I had need to go up a steep slope and tried to select first gear. No chance, the gear lever will not move out of second, will not move side to side or front to back, is this a known issue, it had a new torque converter not long before I bought it, that was 13 years ago but it has been rarely used over the years, maybe only 100 hours in total.
Sounds like you have moisture in the oil and the shift rails are rusty and froze up
So drain and replace gearbox oil? But is there any way to ease the shift rails, I have no chance of splitting the digger to access the box.
The shift rails may not be in alignment. four bolts hold the gear shift lever assembly on the transaxle case. Remove it and use a pry bar to move the shift rails so that the slots for the lever line up next to each other. If that isn't the problem look for a problem with the pins that hold the forks in place in the rails (#16)
I just read that to check the transaxle oil level the engine should be running, in the past I have only ever checked it with the engine off, I don't know what difference that would make. I have never emptied and refilled it before, only topped it up, what is the total volume of oil required?
Was topped up with Total Dynatrans MPV, which is what was recommended here in France.
You only need to check the Power Shuttle oil level with the engine running - & that is only if your machine is before s/n JJG20000 Checking transaxle level does not need to have engine running. Phase 1 (pre JJG20000) will hold about 18lt of oil (CNH spec is 80w140 mat 3510 [wet brake])
Happy new year to all members. I think that I might be able to pass a degree in being confused, maybe something to do with being 75 years old. I do not know what the power shuttle oil is. I have only ever filled the engine oil level and the transaxle oil between the rear pedals, if there is a power shuttle oil volume maybe that is why the gears will not change, I will have to check what the chassis number is. Thank you all for your extremely valuable assistance over the years.
Ah! If the transaxle dipstick is between the rear pedals, you have the phase 3 transmission - which does not have a separate power shuttle. The Total oil you mentioned above seems to be OK to use according to their specifications. You will need 55lts to refill. Those gearshift levers have a detent mechanism near the gearshift lever pivot. They would get a little sticky, lift the rubber boot around the lever & give it a squirt of oil. It may fix your shift problem.
Chassis number JJH0010416
Gear shift on the floor ?-- I assume. That and the serial number indicates you have a 580K, not a 580K series 3. It would have the power shuttle between the bell-housing and the trans-axle. The power shuttle is an ingenious gear box that allows you to to change travel directions without using a clutch.
JJH is a 580K european built side shift hoe with vertical stabilizer legs - they all have the later phase 3 transaxle with 4sp gearshift lever from the console. JJG 580K's are US built machines where there is the serial number JJG20000 break for phase 1 & phase 3 transaxle
@mhobson Area to look at - detent balls #40 and pivot plates #29A & #30