Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 Volvo A40 tire valve stem?

ed978 · 2023-12-13 20:04

About a year ago I picked up a 1998 Volvo A40 articulated hauler. Today I went to move it and found one of the tires a little low. When I went to air it up I found that the valve stem is larger than all my other equipment. Searching the net I find information about large bore, super large bore, z-bore, and Mega, but the sizes don't match. There is nothing in the service manual. The valve stem on this truck has a diameter of 0.475" or 12mm. Can someone recommend the correct Inflation gauge?

Replies5
  1. #1shopguy2023-12-14 06:27

    Welcome to the forum! I think they are going to be large bore,you can get a adapter’s if you don’t want to buy more gauges and chucks

  2. #2ed9782023-12-14 15:38

    Hi thanks shopguy. I wasn't sure because I found this chart showing a large bore is 4.826mm, a super large bore is 11.175mm, and a z-bore is 14.224. Using digital calipers on the stem on the truck it has a diameter of 12mm. TIRE VALVES McGee Company stocks a variety of tire valves for your needs from clamp-in, snap-in, to specialty and TPMS! Call the experts today. www.mcgeecompany.com

  3. #3shopguy2023-12-14 20:16

    Okay,the adapters i use are .440 inside the threads I will try to get a picture

  4. #4ed9782023-12-15 19:59

    thanks I ordered one today.

  5. #5ed9782024-01-09 21:55

    The adapter works great. Thanks