Hello I'm pretty convinced the transmission needs replacing. What should I expect for a remanufactured transmission through caterpillar and what should I expect for labor to replace it. It's a 1999 and I'm intending to keep it for another 20 years. It only has 4000 hours on it - is it likely that the transmission is in fact bad. I'm just a homeowner wondering if I should just run it until it wont run. Only issue I had recently is it wouldn't go into forward - I'd shut off and come back later and it worked fine - I read in one of these posts about some electrical issues that caused this. the transmission does make odd noises and doesn't sound all that healthy - however being a home owners i'm wondering if I should just run it until it wont run. What should I expect for prices and are there any options? Ive rebuilt 7 turbo 400 auto transmissions - Is this one very complex? Might a local transmission shop rebuild it? how difficult is the job of replace this?
Welcome to HEF, Cliff! ! If it is an electrical issue you won't accomplish much by replacing the transmission. I suggest you call a Caterpillar dealer and have them send a tech out to determine what is really wrong with it.