Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310B Heater

MTNXTREME800 ยท 2020-12-08 21:19

Just picked up a 310B and the hoses to the heater were disconnected. Can someone pst a diagram showing where they hook up on engine ? Are these heaters troublesome ? Was it possibly leaking or too hot in summer so disconnected ? Is there a way to stop the flow of coolant in summer with valves without stopping engine flow and overheating ? Do they totally suck and I should be looking to replace instead of hooking up and spitting coolant all over the cab ? I see a new unit is 800 bucks, and small E bay electric units can be had for $115 ?

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-12-09 09:48

    The heater core may have a leak in it. Yes you can put valve(s) in the coolant lines. The parts catalog shows quite a bit in regards to the way the hoses are routed. Start on this page ---> https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/76829/referrer/search/pgId/1425

  2. #2MTNXTREME8002020-12-09 21:20

    If I put valves and turn them off in summer will it run hot ?

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-12-09 21:28

    I have never seen any machine I ran, operate at higher temperature in the summer with the coolant shut off to the heater in the summer. I like to use full flow brass valves that can be purchased in any hardware store. The type that is 1/4 turn from off to open.

  4. #4Delmer2020-12-10 10:21

    You can use only one valve if you want, like if you have one barbed fitting available on the engine already, and just need one more. The heat will be off in the summer with one valve closed. Two valves will let you avoid draining the coolant below the ports if you need to work on the heater core, but you can drain it fairly easy from the port, so not that big a deal. One of the hoses will come off the water pump or very close to it, the other can return almost anywhere, shouldn't be too hard to find the holes that have been capped.