Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 CASE 570LXT Stuck in 4WD. Any Ideas?

SBH ยท 2012-09-15 20:54

The console switch lights up when putting into 4WD but will not disengage to 2WD when switching the rocker switch. So, it is always in 4WD no matter what configuration the switch is in. I checked all the fuses. I do not know what the mechanism is that controls the 2WD to 4WD at the transmission. Is it a solenoid that controls the conversion or something else? I do not have a service manual just the operator's manual which does not go into detail. I have not traced the wires that come from the switch down to the transmision, but I have taken apart the console to see if the 2WD to 4WD switch had any freyed or loose wires and everything there looks good. Any suggestions would be excellent since I hate having a problem I can't fix or figure out.

Replies2
  1. #1Goose2012-09-15 22:17

    It takes power coming from the 4x4 switch to the solenoid a ground circuit at the solenoid and a good solenoid to disengage the front axle. So if the switch is bad the wires going to the solenoid are broken or the solenoid is bad then the tractor will be in 4 wheel drive all the time. The 4x4 valve is located on the top of the transmission just to the right of the transmission control valve. Start there and see if it is plugged in and has power and ground to it with the switch in the 2 wheel drive position and the key on and also check the fuse. You can also check the wiring at the switch to see if you have power coming out in 2 wheel drive.

  2. #2SBH2012-09-30 16:57

    Thank you for the information. I was able to track down the wiring and the location of the solenoid. All the wiring seems good. Tested with a 12V test light at the solenoid connector and at the switch and have power to the solenoid. So it seems that the solenoid is bad. Have not had a chace to remove it but I will keep updating as I go through the process for anyone else that has the same problem. This is a great forum and I appreciate the help and response. This forum especially helps when I don't have the service manual for the tractor. I was able to find some expoded views of the transmision and most other areas of the Case 570lxt at www.colemanequip.com . They are very detailed and help anyone that does not have the manuals they need.