Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 D5C help with changing filters….??

bswwiv ยท 2020-01-04 10:22

Have the shop manual but it is not clear on the changing of the hydraulic filter for the 6-way nor on the changing of the filter for the transmission. Pictures make it look very straight forward BUT, as I have learned there is ALWAYS some small thing that it really helps to know when doing even the small stuff I am asking here. Hydraulic filter is at the rear and accessed by a cover on the reserve tank. Transmission filter is under the access plate in cab and has a cover. Insights appreciated.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2020-01-04 10:34

    Manuals from "that generation" of equipment tend to assume high levels of practical competence on the part of the person doing the work, unlike today's ones where everything is detailed down to the last dotted I and crossed T. The manual didn't try to talk down to the experienced journeyman, it assumed that he knew the basics anyway, so it didn't bother telling him what he already knew. That's what you're up against. Both the transmission & hydraulic implement filter changeouts on that model ought to be straightforward once you have removed whatever sheet metal (floor plate, etc) is necessary in order to actually access the filter housing. Back to my comment above, the manual is not going to state the obvious that to change the transmission filter you first need to remove the floorplate.

  2. #2bswwiv2020-01-04 18:15

    Exactly why I ask. I'm not bashful about the fact that I need education!

  3. #3Tyler d4c2020-01-04 18:37

    You know I've always thought that the manual for my 312b may as well be fire starter at times.

  4. #4Nige2020-01-04 20:00

    Another thing worth mentioning. Often with the type of filter you will be changing the O-Ring seal for the cover (fits in a groove in the filter housing) does not come with the new element. You have to buy it separately but you should definitely change it especially if the machine is new to you and you have no idea when the O-Ring was last changed.

  5. #5bswwiv2020-01-05 18:53

    Thank you. Exactly the sort of thing I'd of not known to look for.