Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 gehl skidsteer battery ?

skooter ยท 2016-04-24 21:30

The gehl manual calls for 12 volt 950 cca can you use any type battery such as a die hard battery that has 950 cca ? I was thinking about putting a higher cca battery in my skid steer is that a good idea or not ? If you put a higher cca battery will it cause the altinator to quit working do to over drawing on altinator ? Thanks for any information Scott

Replies4
  1. #1willie592016-04-24 22:31

    Most likely it's a group 31 battery at 950 CCA, pretty common. As for wanting to put a higher CCA battery, I have to ask why? Typically a good group 31 at 950 CCA will do the job just fine, that is if the starter is in good shape. But if you really want to put a higher CCA battery in it, the alternator doesn't care what CCA battery is in it, it only does its job putting charge back in the battery that gets sucked out during cranking and running the machine electronics, CCA of the battery has nothing to do with that.

  2. #2mountainlake2016-04-25 05:39

    Check out the battery prices at your local heavy truck dealer, usually way less than anywhere else for a heavy duty battery.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2016-04-25 06:33

    Depends on a lot of things, which battery I put in which machine... If it is a royal pain, to get it in the machine, then I put in the highest amperage battery, that will fit in the space allotted. On the little Asv RC30, I have to turn the battery halfway over, cat-y-corner, to install the biotch, so it gets the best battery I can get, and a gel battery, at that...

  4. #4skooter2016-04-25 09:21

    Thanks everyone for the replys . Sorry if was a dumb question . The reason for a higher cca battery is because realy cold weather .