Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 JCB 214 Stabilizer Seal Nut Removal

RRRAVEN ยท 2010-12-16 10:39

Hi- I have a leaking seal on the sealhead/nut on my stabilizer cylinder on my 1999 JCB 214 and want to replace the seal but can't get the nut loose to pull the cylinder apart. I have used the correct size wrench with a 6ft pipe and still no luck. Do I need to slug wrench the mother and/or heat it to get it to budge? I don't have a allot of experience with cylinders this large but it really is nothing more than a large motorcycle rear shock and I've had many of those apart. Can anyone share their tricks with me on loosening this seal head nut? Thanx in advance!- RRRAVEN

Replies11
  1. #1jimg9842010-12-16 11:23

    some types of retainer nuts havea clip to keep them from turning,, may need to wait on some better informantion from the pros

  2. #2RRRAVEN2010-12-16 11:35

    This is the outter nut/seal head, no clip!

  3. #3cutting edge2010-12-17 00:41

    heat....and lots of it.

  4. #4jrtraderny2010-12-17 08:22

    NO DO NOT HEAT it first, check out this thread : Good way to do it in there. jr

  5. #5RRRAVEN2010-12-17 10:21

    Thanx for the link. I'll try the peen/shock method and see how I make out and let you cats know the outcome.

  6. #6RRRAVEN2010-12-30 14:17

    Finally got a chance to try out the peen method on my stabiliser sealhead/nut.........worked like a charm! Still had a 6ft pipe on my wrench but it moved with almost no effort compared to before where it would not budge no matter what. Now I can work it back and forth with some lube to continue to free it up and remove it. Thanx to everyone for all your help! RRRAVEN 1999 JCB 214 4x4

  7. #7willie592010-12-30 19:37

    Good to hear you got it moving a bit RRRAVEN. But be very careful turning the glad nut until it gets tight again. Moisture causes rust and oxidation inside threaded components like that. If you get it to break loose and start it turning, that rust and corrosion debris gets rolled around in the threads. If you continue turning, it's like it's creating Locktite in those threads, will literally gall the threads. Keep peening on the nut, see if you can screw it back on to a more free spot and start working some penetrating fluid in it. Best of luck to ya.

  8. #8RRRAVEN2011-01-01 12:51

    ATCOEQUIP- That is what I have been doing. Rocking the gland nut back and forth and right now I have the stabilizer fully pulled up and have it soaked with penetrating fluid. I also have a much shorter cheater bar to use on my spanner wrench to get a much better feel for how free the gland nut really is. And just like you mentioned I do not want to gall the threads, that would start my new year off on the wrong foot. My next issue will be loosening the piston nut, I have heard those can be a mutha to loosen.

  9. #9willie592011-01-01 14:14

    Just to be sure, you do have that cylinder disconnected with no fluid pressure on it, right?

  10. #10cps2011-01-14 15:23

    Atco you sure know what your on about!!:drinkup I had never heard about this "peening method" at all must be an US thing!:usa Had a ram of a Cat 307 today with a real tight glan! Put a 12' pipe on it with no luck! was just about to try a little heat when i remembered this thread! got the ball point out and tried it! And low and behold it went like a charm:bouncegri So thought i let you know ya saved an Irish lad alot of hassle today:drinkup Aiden

  11. #11willie592011-01-14 21:19

    Well, Aiden, I'll hoist a mug of brew and celebrate with ya to be sure. :drinkup I don't know about it being a US thing...just a trick I learned a long time ago, works everytime I've tried it. Good to hear it helped ya out of a pinch.