This is a problem we have been working on since summer. The thing runs great for a short time with good power then it dies like it runs out of fuel. it will restart after sitting but will not run as long as it did the first time. We have cleaned the fuel tank, changed fuel filter, replaced rubber fuel lines from tank to electric supply pump, and replaced the electric supply pump. I am out of ideas and was thinking maybe some of you have had the same problems and can help me.
Take the gas cap off the tank and try it. If the vent in the cap is clogged, it'll pull a vacuum in the tank and it craps out. I'm assuming it doesn't have some kind of fuel evap system, where it vents through that. If that doesn't do it, I'd pull one of the injectors and see if fuel is squirting out when you crank it. This would be done just after it dies. If it has no fuel, then it's down to the injection pump, you've replaced most of the fuel system....of course it could be one of those one in a million failures, the kind that are reallllly hard to find.
Fuel cap....... there was a service bulletin several years ago and affected machines act just as you described. Did you buy this machine the past summer? Maybe from Ted Everett's sale?
thanks for the quick response. I will loosen the cap and try it, never thought of that. Yeah, motrack you seem to know about this machine. It did come from Everett's sale, a friend bid for me. Maybe you can tell me some more history on it. Where is Ingalls? Thanks
Did it belong to 4D builders from Franklin In? It was sold new from a dealership I worked for and I went to Everett's and checked it over for a interested party. Ingalls is 15 miles east of Indy on US36.
Yeah It did belong to 4D Had the decal on the boom. Well I tried to drive it to our shop from another farm with the fuel cap off today. I thought you guys had the answer but it stalled before I got there. Is there any other easy checks to do before we tear into it deeper? Thanks although the fuel cap was not the answer you have given me new hope.
Try pulling an injector, like I mentioned before. It's a diesel, so we can rule out an ignition problem....If it quits, got to be fuel related. I'm guessing nothing comes out when you try the injector after it stalls again. Then I would verify there's fuel and of sufficient quantity at the injection pump inlet. That would leave the injection pump if you have fuel to it, but nothing past it. Just had another thought, how is the fuel shut off in this thing? Is there a knob you pull, like my old beast? Or is there a solenoid controlled thru the key? That would shut it down, if there's something screwed up there. There was a thread last month about Detroit Diesels running away when they got oil in the intake. Never done this, but spray diesel into the air intake after it dies? See if it starts. Just a thought....
when it stoped running are the fuel filters dry? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Have you checked power to the injection pump when it shuts off? Does it die quickly like you shut off the key or just slowly lose power and stop? I have known this machine since new........ was never really used hard but its perventive maintance did lack. I checked it out the day before the auction and only problem I found was engine RPM was 200 RPM low but I think that was do to throttle cable adjustment.
The problem is fixed I think. It ran for about four hours today and didnt offer to die or lose power. I did as you said El and checked conections. I replaced a couple of wire terminals. I think they were broken by me as I was trying to inspect them though. I took it out and it died again so I rememberd the comment motrack made about the filters being full; they were empty and made a suction sound when removed. So that ruled out Inj. pump to me. Our hired hand went to take off a hose and could not get to the clamp so he loosened the banjo fitting and loosened the clamp. I asked him to look in the fitting later so he took it off. When he got ot out there was a wad of Fiber or hair plugging it. After blowing the fitting out and reassembleing it ran great. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. Motrack I noticed the loss of RPM on the hand throttle but not the foot feed so I figured it was ok. The Hyd Cylinders for raise and boom crowd were leaking also and I am having them repacked. The rods seem to be smooth so am hoping for another simple fix. looks like someone had tried to tighten the top with a punch???. I am taking them to Bedford tomorow for them to be rebuilt. Who are you working for now? Just wondering since you said that you used to work for the dealer who sold my hoe new. your input and expertice is helpful
Unemployed at the moment and spending the past few weeks with my parents in SE Ohio...... been helping dad with a few projects around the farm. I remember now the stick cyl was leaking. I ran the unit a good bit checking it out....... They have a large limestone pile on back of the lot which is great for testing machines. You will need a "special" wrench to remove the cap from the hyd tank........ its a thin open wrench that fits the nut under the plastic cap...... trying to remove the cap with out it will give you a broken cap. You can make a wrench from thin steel strap. IIRC you can not buy the correct hyd cyl seal kit from New Holland any longer........ you have to "update" the hyd cyl to use the current production cyl kit. You will need to buy a new piston to use the new seal kit.
I am sure you find work soon but I am sure your dad is thankful for your help for now. I had the stick and boom cyl. repacked. Had a shop we trust do it. They rebuilt both for $440. I hope this repair holds and I don't have the need to update. You may know where a ditch cleanout bucket is for this machine. I have been looking for one with little luck except for having one built. I want to dip out some ditches around tile outlets. I am happy to have a good recource for info like HEF and it's members.
Cant say I know of a bucket right off. Sounds like your getting the hoe in tip top shape again. I am enjoying the vacation..........
beleive it or not i had the same thing with mine, same symptoms and it was driving me nuts, found a crack in the fuel line took it off and found a wad of fiber like in the banjo bolt. cleaned it out replaced hose runs like a top now, now it started blowing the 4wd fuse when i try to engage it, and i have no idea why?
That is strange you have had the same problem. I guess this is why we are all here. The more we can learn from each other the better. I hope you can get your 4wd fuse problem fixed soon.
the fiber you found is algae, and it is a pain in the ass cleaning the banjo fitting, a good fix is to put a cleanable in line filter in the fuel line mine is made of glass and i can see when I need to take it apart and clean the screen in the filter,no more cleaning the banjo fitting. a good way to not only clean the algae but also clean the entire system is to go to a truck stop and find a fuel conditioner called motor cote fuel treatment this stuff is amazing it cleans EVERYTHING, just be prepared to clean the in line filter a LOT until all the crap the motor cote loosened up in the system is gone best bet is to run the fuel low as possible without running dry and then add 5 gal. and run that out, most of the gunk will then be gone, then change the original fuel filter,clean the in line filter and you should be good to go for a long time without problems, added bonus is that power will increase as the injectors will be clean as new also
Thank you sir for your post. My 555E exhibited same symptoms and I had spent about 4 hours in the field when I pulled up your post. I went right away to the banjo fitting and low & behold there was a threaded mass blockage. Removed it and back on line. Your post saved me a lot of time and aggravation as the New Holland dealer was no help. Thank You Sir!
Do you have a photo of where the banjo fitting is located
The banjo bolt is where the fuel line connects to the sediment bowl. Had the same thing on mine but it was a glob of rust.
Thanks, it looks like someone converted mine to a different fitting already