I have a ’99 Takeuchi TB035 that I rebuilt the engine on. It was a straightforward rebuild. I bought a used head, had it checked and passed. I had injection pump rebuilt, put in new injectors, new turbo, new water pump, new alternator, new fuel filters, new air filters. I also added a water separator. It’s like factory new (except for the smoking). It has smoked since I started the engine after the rebuild. The smoke is greyish. The smoke is light but noticeable, specially when I’m working in narrow spaces. Engine is a Yanmar 3TN84TL-RTBY. I checked compression and it’s 400PSI across all 3 cylinders. I did a leak down test and I have minimal leakage coming from breather tube/ oil fill cap. No bubbles in the coolant while performing leak down test. Inspected inside of cylinders and they look fine. I adjusted timing advance and retard, no changes still smokes. While looking for vacuum leaks I did notice that when I spray fluid over the injectors, engine idle changed. I reseated the injectors by cleaning and light reaming, but no change. I still have slight change to idle when I spray fluid over injectors. I have tightened the injector retainer so tight that I bent all three retainers and no change. I have since purchased a new set. How do I seal the injectors correctly? Is there an old school way to seal injectors? Maybe adding high temp silicone (I’m out of ideas and just thinking out loud) What am I missing? Help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Was the engine broken in after you rebuilt it?
I did broke engine in after rebuilt. The cylinder walls do not look glazed. I also replace all fluids. The only thing i have not done is cleaned the fuel tank. But the engine does not sputter and i dont loose power when in use.
How many hours are on the block? Did you check the cylinders for taper and did you gap the rings? Did you replace the piston’s and are they 3 rings or 2? Did you ball brush the cylinders and do they still have a cross hatch?
4600 hours on block New sleeves and new pistons with 3 rings gaped to spec@ 120 degree apart if i remember correctly. I followed the workshop manual for the engine cylinder walls still have cross hatch
Does the grey smoke smell of fuel at all.? New OEM or aftermarket injectors.? Was the shop that rebuilt the FIP reputable.?
How did you break in the engine. Excavators typically aren't capable of applying a very heavy load to seat the ring in the liners. I used to jack up the pumps some to get the engine to drop around 250 to 300 RPM doing cycle times on the boom and stick to get enough load. After about a half hour I would return the pump settings to only lose about 150 RPM. How many hour have you put on the engine since rebuild? Most all the Japanese engines will smoke blue when cold and then clear up when warmed up. The cold start smoke usually quits in a couple of weeks of working.
What oil are you running and have you changed the break in oil yet. Did you add any supplements? How warm have you gotten it?
Thank for looking at posting It does smell some like fuel Aftermarket injectors yes reputable shop that rebuilt the FIP
15 40W oil No supplements Hot but not over heated.
I have 20 hrs since rebuilt. to break in engine I used excavator to dig and move shipping containers while setting 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle and full Throttle. I made a skidteer adapter for the excavator, I can use an auger attachment to dig holes with a large bit to put engine under harder load. What would be the cycle process if I use the auger?
You want to work it fairly hard at full rated throttle for 20 minutes or so. Doesn't need to be constant heavy load but heavy load at good intervals. When I had my Cat engine rebuilt the shop said to work it hard right off the bat and not baby it.