For starters, more immediate issue.. I am in need of the 4 bolt flange that bolts onto the top of the exhaust manifold where the muffler can clamp on. Mine rusted out. I got the flange off today and CAN weld a pipe to it to put the muffler on but would like to find a new flange if I can get it. It's the C03-130 engine. It's too late to call Minpar and didn't know if someone knew the correct terminology for that part or could possibly give me a part # or better place to look.... Secondly... since I've had this dozer, the steering clutches only work when under load. If I'm deadheading, pulling on the handles will only slightly pull it off course, I'd guess it would take at least a 200-200 sq yard field to turn it in a circle with the steering clutches. Can of course assist it with the brakes and do what you need to. Also, if you're running in high gear empty, it will turn pretty decent. Now, if you have a small load of dirt in front of the blade or even if you have no load but are going uphill, it turns pretty good with the handles. Someone told me they thought these machines were designed that way, but makes no sense to me... anyone chime in?
Yair . . . ihmanky . As far as your steering clutches go it sounds to me as though they are working just fine. On clutch/brake tractors the direction of turn is determined by the clutch, the rate of turn is determined by the brake. If this is a standard configuration tractor there is no indeterminate position on the clutches. You should never try to slip them, the levers should be against the stops either fully engaged or fully disengaged . . . and they must be kept in adjustment. To steer, pull the appropriate clutch back against its stop in one smooth movement and apply sufficient pressure to the brake to turn in the required direction remove foot from brake and allow clutch to reengage smoothly. With one track disengaged the machine will some times lose traction and the driving track will begin to spin. Under no circumstances allow the clutch to reengage under those conditions . To do so is called "slingshotting" and can be very damaging to the tractor and reason enough for an operator to get a very serious talking to.If this happens at least decelerate to idle or preferably shift to neutral before you reengage the clutch. If you have a tilt ram, minor direction changes can be accomplished (when pushing dirt) by tilting the blade left or right and not touching the clutches at all. Cheers.
Hi I had one those FA8's when they 1st came out. Nice little dozer they where. I think they have a gauze filter which blocks & dosen't allow enough oil flow for the brakes or clutches to work proberley . It is located under the floor plates.I remember having trouble with the exhaust manifold I got a plate cut, welded a pipe on it to take a muffler. Cheers Will.
Thanks. Yeah, finally cut me a pipe today and ground the old one out of the flange with a die grinder and welded the new pipe in. Took weld really well. Went to local parts place and got some composite material and made me a gasket, had to order the muffler, be here tomorrow.