Was running the D6C, 10K powershift this past Saturday. Temperatures have been warming in Alabama, so Saturday was probably the warmest day I had operated yellow belly in some time. Was doing pushing with fully loaded blade, 1st gear, mostly level ground. Noticed the water temperature ticked up just a bit. Afterward, noticed the converter temp start moving up. It has been running middle way, straight up. It moved to half way from middle to the start of the red. Kept doing what I was doing and when I parked the machine, noticed some oil dripping from the belly. Today I was able to open some things up and see that the oil is going from the torque converter housing where the u-joint shaft comes out, it appears anyway at this time. I went around and pulled the strainer at the bottom and other than some metal on the magnet, the screen was mostly clean. Could this just be a bad seal and the oil leakage is leading to the additional temperature? Is that range of temp worth even worrying about? I've read about the flooding of the converter causing heat, which was my first thought after seeing where the oil was coming from, but it is leaking while idling and no hard work. For the experts, what do you suggest? This is not a daily run machine anymore, but a few hours each day recently and all day on the weekends.
Change the lip seal. Then pressure wash out the rad core and see how it works. Later Bob
Are you referring to the seal on the u joint shaft? I have a parts diagram but not real clear...looks to be outside the housing. Can it be done without pulling the converter or housing?
Yes the lip seal can be changed. There are orings on the bearing retainer that need the housing out to be replaced. Lip seal is most likely the problem. Later Bob
Once you got to the lip seal, how is the beSt way to get the old one remove and the new one in? Not much room for tools.
You could try the way the auto guys do it. Put in two sheet metal screws and pry on them. It usually works good. Later Bob
Yeah, I'm going to try that. One more question...for now...the shaft will move in, will something come apart if it slides in too far or can I push it in to get it out of the way some? Thanks.
The rear flange shouldn't move as the trans input shaft bearing should hold it solid. The front flange and shaft should slide forward to get the shaft and spiders out. The converter shaft shouldn't cause any problems. I am not sure if the seal is in a removable retainer or not. If there is only one ring of bolts don't take them out as they hold the ground shaft into the housing. Later Bob
I wouldnt worry so much about the shaft moving in as I would be most surprised if it will but it can DEFINITELY move out when you go to remove the seal. The problem then is that when you go to shift it back in it can pop the seal in the transmission pump. This happened on a D6c we acquired recently everyone we spoke to about said it would be in the torque converter itself so after we had pulled out the T.C. and sent it away and stripped down turned out nothing wrong with it instead the transmission pump was sucking air. All that would have had to have been done in our situation was pull the trans pump and replace the seal around the pump shaft and a couple of "o" rings and it could have been going again.