Just a slight pun, but there is a question. My D3B weights in around 15K, shoe size 16 inch wide, single 1 3/4 inch grousers. I can put the dozer on the trailer to cross the local 2 lane asphalt road, but wonder about other methods. I have some 2x8 oak boards which maybe able to do it. Any other ideas?
Id just run it across, it might scuff the road a little bit but it shouldn't matter. or get some scrap plywood and run across with that. Other people use scrap tires and just move them from behind the machine to in front of it as you go. you could also use 2x4s for cheap wood to buy if nothing else. I wouldn't bother messing up the oak boards if they're in good shape or going to be used for something else.
Old car tires.Run dozer up on tires and move tires ahead of tracks. you will need about 6 or 8 of them, and a helper to move them from behind the dozer, to a spot in front of the dozer, after it passes over them. Quick and easy solution. We do it all the time.
We use old conveyor belts.
Appreicate it much folks. It did fine on my concrete floor other then right on the edge of it, the grouser broke the edge right off. Didn't want to mess up the county road and have to fix it. Really didn't want to use my oak boards, there in great shape, have a project for them. Don't have enough tires, the plywood and other 2x stuff I have plenty of. Thanks
Yup old tires
Old tires is how we fo it....park it on 3 quarter plywood in the shed on the concrete floor ....
another vote for old conveyor belts .....usually your local aggregate plant will happily give lengths of worn-out belt away.
Up North from you , If the dirt to asphalt transition is even , so it won't break over and damage the asphalt , I just drive straight across. It might leave a little white mark , but after a rain it will be gone. No worse than Amish buggies with horse shoes marking the road. I did see a guy on a D6R cross a road the other day , that heavy I'd probably put something down. If the asphalt is fresh its a big no no as well.
I vote for conveyor belts too,,,, if traffic comes along they can pass over it with no problems. Keeps your stress level lower too.
Might try different things, and good to know about where to get conveyor belts. My 955 grosses 32K but it also has 3 growers per pad (street tracks) and only leaves behind white marks. Maybe work real slow to find out if my little D3 will cut through. There was a guy who had a D4H and it made cuts on the edge of the road but not on the main surface.
We do to . Ours are around 24'' wide . We cut them in 10' lengths to make them easier to drag around . Keep a couple on the lowboy as many times we have to unload on the county road then walk the machine in to the job if the truck cant get in the driveway . The conveyor belt also makes a nice heavy mud flap . Just installed some on the dump truck last week . Have even used them on the sling on my one ton wrecker .
Just drive it across, a little D3 won't hurt the asphalt.. If you're super worried, throw a sheet or two of plywood down. I drove a D8R with 24" pads about 3 miles down asphalt in 3rd gear one time due to being evacuated from the fire break during a wind shift. Little white marks is all that was left behind. I was surprised it didn't crack up.
Willing to give it a try, just need to go slow
Just take 2- 2x's per track, lay them down and cross the road if you are worried about damaging it. Or like the others have said, just cross it. Obviously don't turn, just track straight across, that's what I would do as well.
One more vote for just drive across. State forestry drives their D5s on the road all the time, sometimes white marks, sometimes not. I have driven my D4e (19,500 lbs) on the road several times. If you're worried, do it early in the morning. 65 degree asphalt is a lot harder than 85 degrees.
just drive it across in the morning, i have run my d5h-xl across and then down the road a 1/2 mile no problems
Hey catman 13, That 1/2 mile down the road,was that to get away from the evidence ?
Yair . . . 'Merican asphalt must be better than 'Stralian asphalt . . . especially the stuff on the main highway past my house. (big grin) Cheers.
Another vote for old tires, been involved in crossing a few roads, had enough old rubber to set three or four down spaced apart to each track then a second set of hands to pickup the ones at the back and move to the front as you walk across the road.
Even sticks and branches can do a decent job for a quick move.
have in the winter time pushed a little snow across the road, did the job then tracked back before cleaning it up with a pickup blade, fixing the snowbanks so it didn't look too obvious
Starting so look like I maybe worried about nothing. Agree morning temp will be better then hot afternoons.
I had my d3 on a job site in the country that I had to cross a road probably 10 times in the course of two weeks. It left little white scuffs in the blacktop is all. Even then, not that many. I just took it slow. This last fall the county had a tracked excavator cleaning ditches out in my neck of the woods too. It left white scuffs all over the road.
If there's no sign that says " no metal treads" I guess you have permission , just don't cross I-65
I've driven a D3C across "Stralian" asphalt a few times, with no problems, barely a mark at all. Wouldn't try it on a hot day though..........
Sounds good guys, thanks Once Diesel Injection Service redoes the pump bonnet I'll run it across the road
OR, if you have a large loader on site just drive the little bugger into the bucket , roll the bucket back and away you go.... problem solved............................
Good one :drinkup
Sounds like a plan. I have always wanted a 992 lol my wife wouldn't know the difference if I told her I had to have it to move the dozer Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Check around this site for Nige, he might have one for sale! Shipping cost from his mine might be a little high!
It has been done. I have seen the time a 988B has scooped up a D21 komatsu and moved it to the other side of the job. Chum..
if you want to see what it costs to have the unionized county road crew come around and relay a road because of a few "scuffs", give it a go. people have tried that around here and believe me when the feds get done with you your trailer is going to look pretty good.
My cousin just yesterday stomped his little Allis Chalmers HD5 acrossed US route 6 here in PA, no boards, no belting, no nothing, he just said you'd be amazed at what farmers can get away with and away he went!!! Chum..
Route 6 in Pa. Is my backyard...(Bradford County) .Small world...Rural farm land with the best deer hunting in the country....I take my JD 450 LT across the hardtop on a regular basis...unless it blistering HOT out...No big deal in this part of the world.
Yes it is a small world, we are in the middle of McKean County. Were pretty lucky up here we don't get bothered much!!!
That would put you crossing 59 heading to Smethport from the airport... As you can tell from my handle, I know McKean Co ... BUT, I did cheat and look at Google maps to see just what was at the "center" of the county.
Took it across the road on it's own at an angle. Maybe I should have went straight across but here is the worst spot as the dozer tipped over the edge. On a side note: dug up a 100 plus year old oak out of the drive way with the backhoe. The hoe couldn't pick it up, so I drove the 955 over, she picked right up. The 955 did some grunting by carried back over the other side of the road and I let it go over the hill. The stump is about 6 foot in diameter
Well I may have generalized a bit kanewolf, I live at the intersection of US-6 and State Route 46 south, very near the McKean County Fairgrounds. I can and have hit the caution light in the middle of that intersection with apples before from my front porch!!!! I have lived here sinse 1962 other than a 14 year hiatus. (84-98) I can remember the Lobo's that were kept near Kane on route 6 many years ago!! Beautiful animals indeed!!! Kane is a very nice town also, I have many friends there.. Glad to hear from you Kanewolf!! Chum..
I'm coming in kind of late... See you local fire department for old used fire hose.
If I come visit during county fair week, I will buy you a beer....
Hey, Hey HEY ...!!! what about my beer for starting the thread. Gee wiz, what's a guy got to do to get a free beer :beatsme