I bought my wicked low hour Case 1840 to replace my old 1 ton GMC yard truck for plowing snow. I adapted the 9 foot Fisher power angle plow from the GMC to the case. Since then, we haven't had any snow. Sunday night the forecast calls for 3-6 inches. Getting wood just thinking about it.
If you have a cab enclosure with heat, I can see getting "wood" over it. If you remember back to the related Seinfeld episode over cold and "wood" the two don't work well together.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsH4aClj-ZY Just in case you never saw the reference.
Oh yes. I have a cab with heat. A backup camera. Enough lights to mistake it for a fire truck. A nine foot power angle plow. AND a permanent mounted apple tablet that as long as I'm on my property, can connect to my home entertainment system via WIFI and can listen to music or watch any of about 600 movies backed up to network attached storage. does that give you wood???
That's it ? 3-6" ?? Thanksgiving we got 60". Melted, and last week we got some more, maybe 18"-24". Looking at the spec's for the 1840, I think the 9' plow may be a bit too much for the machine. At least plowing how we do it around here. I've got a 6' meyer on a JD 240, and it's about all it wants.
I rarely let more then a half foot accumulate before plowing. It'll be fine. If not, I can always drop the plow and put the bucket back on.
Meh.....O.K. by me.
You don't sound to enthusiastic. I'm not scared.
Shrinkage?
You don't mention a heated seat, and I am an Android guy...so no...no wood for me. Sounds cool though if that's your thing.
No heated seat. Had not thought of that. Perhaps even heated joy sticks. I'm a windows kind of guy but everyone else in this house has their Apple products surgically attached so I had spares.
You really want to pay attention clearing snow. Insurance for snow removal is higher than for dirt work. I only mention this is because hidden dangers can be covered with snow. I hit a crack in a curb going slow and still almost got propelled into the cab door. You don't want to be distracted listening to music too loud. The blade may be a little wide for heavier or wetter snow. It might pull you towards the ditch too. Go slow and get used to it before going full speed ahead.
Well, how did it work? I started out, with the 10’ plow on my backhoe and about my third swipe, the chain shackle for the angle frame broke and my plow fell on the ground! Broke a 1/4” hydraulic line and sheared the fitting off, on one of the tilt cylinders. Fortunately, I had a fitting, unfortunately it is brass. Put brass one in, made a new line and finished up everything. Of course, I won’t pick up a steel one, until the brass one fails. Lol
It worked just fine. We didn't get that much snow. Started as rain, changed to wet snow then fluffy on top as the temp nose dived. So only about 4 inches total but the first three was heavy wet stuff. I live in a residential area. It was 4 AM when I tried it so the machine was only about 1/4 throttle. Pushing straight with the blade slightly angled was no problem. With a good size pile of cement in front of me, it struggled a bit trying to push and turn at the same time but again only less then a 1/4 throttle
Well after 3 years, we're supposed to get 5-9 inches. I can measure that. So far, straight pushes of heavy wet wasn't a problem. Only turning while pushing heavy wet piles of slush did it struggle and then wasn't bogging down, just spinning wheels. Just line up for a straight push solved the problem. Looking forward to a fluffy snow test.
4AM? You're that neighbor...... But I guess if you're going to have wood, there's nothing like early morning wood.
Ha!
He lives in Mass, everyone is awake at 4 am because they have no time for sleep. They have to work all day and night, to have to pay for everything. Lol Rated as the most expensive state to live in, I think. lol
Get it right. Not Mass, Taxx. Not the most expensive , but right up there. Lived here my whole life. Still live in the same town I grew up in. Within sight of the house I grew up in. I have 5 brothers and sisters. Only one moved out of the state She's in So NH Derry area
Just joshing you. Your sister lives next town over. I was born in Lowell Mass General and my family is from Dunstable. We blew mass when I was 1 or 2 and my father moved us to NH for guns and land. We got serious snow right now and still coming down. Probably end up being 8 to 9 inches. Nice powder snow.
Only about 3-4 of cement.
We ended up with about 10”’s of beautiful powder. Plowed great, brother broke a hydraulic line, when he hit a buried stump. Thankfully, I have a hose press and a few thousand in fittings, lol. Was kinda cute, seeing blue fluid all over the snow. Not sure what he’s using for hydraulic fluid.
Ran over a smurff?
Nope, looked like it though. Whatever boughge plow fluid that was in his plow, is bright blue. lol
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/buyers-products-sam-low-temperature-blue-hydraulic-fluid
Better than yellow anyway?
Does that mean you can eat it? LoL
Well, I suppose you could, but your a Canuck - you should know better by now. (Was going to call you a Dukabor, but it's been so long since I've heard the name I can't remember if it is an acceptable term to tease someone with).
The Meyer snowplow hyd. fluid was always blue color.
I've only ever heard don't eat yellow snow.
The snow storm we got today sucked. It was very cold yesterday and it snowed last knight. It quickly turned over to rain after getting 4-5 inches. The rain passed through the snow turning it to slush. I ended up with a sheet of ice under the snow. That left me with almost zero traction. I have a flat driveway but was still sliding all over the place. I tried a few different ways to do this. The best results I got was to put enough down pressure on the plow to lift the front wheels off the ground. That got it done.
.