Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

200-2 more help needed.

Bremcoe ยท 2013-10-14 19:23

so after playing with it a bit around the yard in limp mode, (haven't fixed electrical yet) I noticed that the gear oil I had to put into the swing motor is just running out the rotec, mixed with some water and coming out a sticky, vanilla colour. SO.. I guess im pulling the swing motor out and doing an over haul with seals. anyone else done this? this will be my first time. I can only assume that this is the problem. It cant be the rotary manifold because the spec swing motor capacity is 2.2 gallons from what ive gathered, and I put way more than that in and still nothing on the stick and its just pouring out the rotec. any opinions/experience with this? dam -2s.

Replies7
  1. #1GregD12013-10-14 22:49

    Check how much your hydraulic tank is low. By your description, the seal on the swing drive motor is junk along with the motor seal on top. With the swing drive out of the frame, there is a small cover under the rotex bearing. If you were to leave the boom/bucket a bit off the ground, you would then be able to rotate the upper works and steam clean the rotex gear and then re fill it with clean grease. It`s been a LONG time since I did a smaller 200, but the 450 can be a real mothrer to get the pinion off the shaft. The manual shows a guy with a little bottle jack press. I called DTAC- Hitachi dealer service and asked how much pressuree to get it apart and why they show such a small press. They said, Oh, thats just for reffrence. It took near 115 tons press to get it apart. Be careful and have fun.

  2. #2excavator2013-10-15 01:01

    If it's just the seal you do not have to remove the pinion or touch the bearings. You remove the seal plate (which holds the seal) and slide it down over the pinion gear. A very simple job once the gearbox is out of the machine.

  3. #3GregD12013-10-15 06:31

    You are 100% correct, My bad, I guess it`s been longer than I thought. The seal will slide over the teeth and the ring aabove the gear contacts the lip.

  4. #4GregD12013-10-15 08:12

    After thinking about your problem, you may want to look REAL good at the rest of the gears and bearings in this unit. It has been leaking oi, coninues to leak so it has been lubricated with hydraulic oil, not gear oil as spec. A lot different wear and cushion effect of hyd oil over gear oil. Would be something to consider.

  5. #5rfedistribution2013-10-15 19:41

    Yes, we rebuild these all of the time. It could be a number of things but seals are always a good start. However, the milky substance is referring to your oil mixing with water. I would suggest that there is water in your hydraulic system somehow. And your problem may be further than your gear box or your rotary gear box/manifold.

  6. #6excavator2013-10-16 00:14

    The swing gear box has nothing to do with the hydraulic system other than having a hydraulic motor mounted on top of it. Our area seems especially bad for tearing the gear box seal resulting in the gear oil running into the cavity and out the rotek bearing. What happens is the rubber plate around the rotary manifold either has a crack in it or the edge is lifted up, and then the drain holes located at the base of the boom cylinders are plugged with grease and anything else. This allows water to stand on the carbody floor and seep in through the rubber rotary plate. This moisture causes the pinion to rust and the seal doesn't like that and leaks. I've also seen them tear with cold weather, the seal freezes to the pinion shaft. Make sure the drain holes are clean and when parking the machine in rainy weather ( 9 months out of the year) always park with the front sloped down abit to let the water run out.For all the seals I've replaced, only 1 time was it caused by the swing motor seal leaking and pressurizing the gear box. Being an EX200-2, how much are you planning to use this machine?

  7. #7Bremcoe2013-10-16 01:14

    I plan on using the machine a lot when it's all fixed up. it's not hyd oil in the turn table it is gear oil. I just ordered the complete seal kit for the swing motor.