Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2000 Gal WaterTruck Auto trans or manual?

chrismatin ยท 2014-08-24 21:25

Better to buy a WaterTruck with auto transmission or manual/standard? This will be for building pads, roads, Sitework etc. I want to make the right choice. Many Thanks for input.

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2014-08-24 22:40

    2000 is a fairly small. Back when I ran water truck it was a lot of slow going on most job sites and we were always changing clutches on the manual gearbox trucks. Only problem with the automatic is having the revs to run your water pump if you have sprayers, we went with hydraulic with a variable flow pump, worked good even at an idle. If it was me I would go with the automatic.

  2. #2smokey732014-08-24 22:51

    Auto would last longer. No problems with the clutch to worry about (unless you have complete confidence in the driver) and fewer headaches in the long run.

  3. #3CM19952014-08-25 08:25

    The only problem I have ran into with auto water trucks Landtraxco provided the solution to. We rented an auto with a pto operated sprayer and sent it back for a manual for the reasons stated.

  4. #4chrismatin2014-08-25 21:22

    Thanks Gentlemen. Got a few Ford 650, Internationals to chose from at a Ritchie bros auction. Need one for my next Sitework job.

  5. #5CM19952014-08-25 21:26

    I'd pick an auto with the hydraulic pump if they are available.