Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2001 Cat 304.5 Final Drive Cover Removal

AustinH97 ยท 2025-04-28 17:06

I have my dad's old mini that he's never changed the final drive oil on (8000 hours). The cover just doesn't seem to want to come off. Tried a pry bar on the lip, a slide hammer in the plug holes, hitting with a dead blow hammer, then some light taps with a sledge (don't want to beat the life out of it if I can help it). I haven't put much heat to it yet in the hopes I can save the big o ring on the cover. Is there a snap ring inside like the newer ones? My guess is 25-ish years of never coming off have made it just a bit stubborn. Any input is appreciated. Machine serial number CAT03045VWAK00154 (pic is from after) View attachment IMG_4984.JPG

Replies1
  1. #1Nige2025-04-28 17:23

    According to the D&A procedure it's a snap ring on the cover. Also they do the job with the complete assenmbly removed from the machine and oriented vertically.