2001 cat 416d. Sometimes when I select forward it takes a long time to engage. Sometimes maybe multiple attempts. Sometimes it won't come out of reverse. Then it won't start when its inreverse so I have to cycle the selector multiple times to get it to switch. What could be my issue?
Transmission oil level correct? Have you changed the filter? Using correct oil? When did this start? Serial number? Which transmission?
I changed the transmission fluid and filter first when this started a month ago. Level is correct. I'm not sure which transmission. It has 4 gears on a stick and forward neutral and drive on a sector level by the wheel. The serial number is 7BJ52045B012215
Based on your description of "stays in reverse until fiddled with", I suspect that the directional lever on the column has gone bad. Before buying another, I'm sure that someone here can get you the pin out diagram so you can test it, before spending $$$.
Aweasome hopefully someone sees this post so I can get the diagram
We had 5 420D machines at work. Each and every one had the forward/reverse switch go belly up before they had 1000 hrs. on them. It is a proximity switch, not a mechanical one. Generally, the problem presented as a 'no-start', as the machine did not 'see' neutral, or anything else, for that matter. Only $400 from our good friends in Peoria.....
I will see if I can get a schematic, but my money is on the unrepairable dang switch. You might get lucky and have a wiring issue, maybe...
Thanks for the advice man! Yes a schematic would be excellent
Sounds like the contacts in your shift lever FNR are getting weak. Common issue with those.
That isn’t a Cat Serial Number. Can you post a photo of the machine data plate to help identify what you have.?
Serial number will start with one if the following 5 prefixes, followed by 5 digits.
The serial number posted worked fine in Cat SIS. What DID NOT work fine was my idea of how to interpret their "interactive" diagrams. My 'old school' self will see if I can dig up a hardcopy.
Schematic... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjALegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0zt9G46p5ceZrvihC8tvMm
The Serial Number is the last 8 characters/digits of the 17-character PIN. This is what SIS shows me if I take the last 8 of what was posted....... As HMC pointed out there are 5 oiptions for a 416D.........
Nige, 2 posts up, I posted what Caterpillar called the captive serial number (the number the OP gave) and its equivalent, BFP01956.
Sorry, missed that. I'd still love to see the S/No plate from the machine though. "Captive Serial Number" is actually the engine S/N. The rest is the transmission S/N. TBH I've never heard of them referred to that way before. Below is a snip from the As-built consist of machine S/No BFP01956.
Good call, Hey! I have a hardcopy, that aint got much more than your post. Cat manuals are famous for assuming that if you actually have your hands on one, then you have obviously been thru all their training, AND have the ET scantool in the truck. They are the last bastion of 'proprietary' info. Years back, you could not find ANY BLOODY THING about snow machines, or side/sides, or such. Mack will give up their deepest secrets for FREE. Case manuals are cheap and easy to find/buy. Whose machine will you buy next?
Last bastion, my butt...try Deere
Lucky Me, I aint in farm country, so very little JD experience. We DID have a JD 950 dozer. My Fleet Manager is an old school, sharp as a tack sort of guy. The bean counters MADE him buy the 950. He was smart enough to insist on the $10k extended warranty, against their wishes. At less than 2500 hrs, that investment paid itself off in full, and still they insist on pouring good money after bad on a machine that the dealer cannot source parts for. I know my experience is not the norm, based on the amount of green a guy sees out there. I also know that Cat aint who they used to be. I also know what Case stands for- Cant Afford Something Else. We all are in the business of fixing the stuff that the boss has bought, or tells us to. I get it. Builds character in ways the office types will NEVER understand....
I know it isn't a hoe but try getting any "proprietary" info on peterbilt/paccar mx-13 engines or aftertreatment systems...cant even take an online class without having access to their very expensive davey software system...talk about job security...and every time they come back from the dealer we have to fix something they didn't....SORRY....just had that day......