Is there a way to get flash codes to see what is making the engine unhappy? Truck starts up ok but falls into idle only situation if you hit 1400 rpm. Then the engine light comes on and the throttle pedal goes unresponsive. You can turn the truck off and repeat the process. I read that older trucks have a diagnostic button to get the dash to flash codes but can't find any info for getting codes out of this vintage, other than using the weird diagnostic port. Is there a way to get the engine codes off this without the special scanner?
I don't believe there is a way to get flash codes from an international engine. You will need to find someone who can scan it for you.
I have a 2001 4700lp and it has a button on the dash to retrieve the codes.
There is not a lot of info on Navistar's website on the older engines. This is what I found. ______________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION A three box ECM controlled engine can easily be identified by the IDM module being attached to the bulkhead. The ECM is located on the far left side of the bulkhead. Access to the ECM connector is from the outside of the truck, and access to the ECM itself is from inside the cab. The VPM is located inside as well, and is typically behind the instrument cluster. Here is some useful diagrams for the 3 box systems: V8 3 box diagram and trouble codes I6 3 box diagram and trouble codes Cruise Control and Remote Throttle and APS signal Exhaust Brake With Allison MD Transmission Exhaust Brake With Manual Transmission ____________________________________________________________ It looks like the Three box system had a "Self Test Switch/Button" Notice the "self test switch connected to pin 48 of the ECM" I suspect that is the "flash code button". I can email you the PDF from the Navistar site the graphics are better. A crop from the diagram: The code list:
Excellent! For whatever reason this truck doesn't have the button but I did find a procedure that made visible the flash codes. E brake on, ignition key on and within 3 seconds press cruise on and cruise resume buttons. Yellow engine light will flash followed by two flashes of the red engine light. Then the 3 digit engine codes are flashed via the yellow light. The red light blinks once between codes. The red light blinks thrice after the last code. You need a pen and paper and earmuffs because you need to write down the codes while the earsplitting warning chime blares away.
Looks like 134 and 135 are throttle pedal sensor/IVS or throttle pedal wiring issues. Makes sense with the problem you having.
We had one with a similar problem. Corrosion in one of the connectors in the harness close to the throttle pedal.
Very often, disconnecting and reestablishing connections between VPM, ECM & IDM will clear a lot of issues that have no cause. As a dealer tech, this was most frustrating.
Honing in on the throttle sensor did the trick! We had previously checked fuses and connectors for signs of trouble etc. When I probed the sensor wires, I see there's no 12 volts going to the idle validation switch. IVS. Still no blown fuses but low and behold, the fuse for the ivs circuit is gone. Only explanation is that perhaps employees using the truck might have swapped fuses around trying to get the radio to function??? Half of the fuse sockets are empty so it was hard to see that a particular fuse might be gone SO now the truck is drivable but the ear splitting alarm is for brake pressure idiot light so that's the next issue to tackle. So far we have found the brake boost motor to be inoperable with a broken brush. Hope that is the cause at this point. While reading the engine codes, I saw that the abs light was flashing what looks like a 43 code.
Can you give me the last eight of the VIN? The ABS light should not flash because of the brake boost motor.
2h408180 is the end of the vin, thanks
This poor truck has been mostly sitting since the last troubles. It got new batteries last year but they drain down if sitting for a week. I recharged them and unhooked the negative cables. Now when I reattach the cables, the chime starts blaring with the key off. If you turn the key on, the chime stops but nothing else happens. I found one of the cluster fuses will silence the alarm when pulled out. If you turn the key to the left from off, it switches from the ear-splitting wail to a series of 4 beeps. I guess I'll try unplugging the control boxes to look for corrosion and see if the code pulling process works again.
Have you checked the engine harness bulk head connection? Just a thought, earlier models had issues in that area. Don't know if it would apply to a 2001 4300.