So I made the rookie mistake of buying a case 90xt sight unseen and boy does it need some work. Hoping that some of you can guide me through where to start. I am mechanically inclined and owned an 85xt in the past, but I am wishing I didn't buy this one and need some help. I removed about 10 gallons of oil soaked dirt and crud from the floor plan. Found 2 fairly large diamter(3/4" ish) hoses that are disconnected and capped. Any idea where they go? The 2 speed function does not work at all, push the button and nothing happens. Parking brake button does not work either, but does function with lap bar. The hydraulics function, but seem very slow, I am going to change both filters and the fluid to see if this helps, but any other suggestions? Does anyone have the part numbers for both filters? I can only seem to find one on parts sites. I appreciate the help
I own a 2000 90XT. You definitely have a mess to clean out. If the floor is that filthy then the fuse block is probably nasty too. All functions operate thru the fuses and relays. I do not recognize the hydraulic hoses. I have had several of the oringed fittings vibrate loose and leak.
1. The lines in your picture appear to be coolant lines, probably for the cab floor heater. 2. Tilt the cab and look at the travel motors. See if the 2 speed cylinder is moving when you push the 2 speed button. The 2 speed linkage is prone to wearing out, and rounding off. If the 2 speed cylinder doesn't move, then check your fuses, and the joystick and joystick wiring. 3. Hydraulic functions are probably slow due to a worn out gear pump. It has a priority valve to the travel pumps, so as the pumps wear, the hydraulic functions slow down.
You were absolutely right about them being coolant hoses. I didn’t see any controls so didn’t think it had a heater but at some time it must have. I just spent 5 hours digging and pressure washing oil and mud out of the bottom. I’m assuming the 2 speed is the connecting rod looking item on the top of the drive motor? I’ll check the wiring and fuses tomorrow. There are lots of wires that have been disconnected or spliced together. I just noticed that the sight level for the hydraulic fluid is over full. I’m planning to change the fluid and both filters tomorrow. Does the overfilling cause problems?
Yes, the 2 speed is the connecting rod on top of the drive motors. Its ok if the hydraulic tank is a little overfull, if its too full it will come out of the fill cap. It shouldn't be any more than 3/4 in the sight glass with the loader arms up.
you may want to cut open a hydraulic filter and just see where you stand with this machine, if pumps and motors are trading metal. Then step back and take a deep breath before continuing
I was able to get everything cleaned out from the belly of the machine and changed both hydraulic filters and fluid this weekend. Didn't look too bad and didn't see any metal. The wiring is kind of hacked up though. I replaced the fuses for the 2 speed and e-brake. When driving you can feel a slight "thud" when you press the 2 speed button, but the machine doesn't shift into second gear and the connecting rods don't move. So not sure if something is jammed or what the deal is. The e-brake does not work even with a new fuse. I need to track down a manual so I can find out where all the wires go.
post your seriel # I'll see what bI can come up with
JAF398168 Any thoughts on why the 2 speed isn't moving when the button is pressed, but seems to try? Is it common they can become stuck? Any tips on freeing them up?
You should connect a gauge to make sure your getting proper pressure to the 2 speed cylinder. The more common issue is the 2 speed linkages rounding off at the motors. Not very common for the 2 speed to get stuck at the motor. If you think the 2 speed is stuck at the motors, you could remove the linkages, and turn it by hand with a wrench. Its more likely that the 2 speed cylinder is bad, or not getting pressure.