Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2003 4CX BRAKE PROBLEMS

Ian BLACK ยท 2020-04-19 08:26

Hello, This is my first post so I hope it makes sense !! I have a 2003 4CX that I bought new & has 7300 hours. I have had an on-going & worstening brake problem with it over the last 200 hours or so. It started with, one day having no brakes- i.e. the pedals went straight to the floor- the reservoir was empty. I have owned this machine from new & we have maintained it ourselves so there has not been a problem with incorrected fluid being used in the braking system- always JCB light 15 oil. We bled the two sides (although I didn't know about holding one pedal halfway done whist bleeding the other side) & all seemed fine- the brakes worked again. However, this problem re-occured with increaseing frequency- to start with I had to fill the reservoir every day & after a couple of weeks the contents of the reservoir dissapeared in 3/4 minutes! There is no external leak so the only thing for me was the internal brake piston seals. We replaced these & bled the two sides (without the opposite pedal half way down method) & the brakes seemed fine. but, after road testing it the same problem occoured- on the right side. When I pressed hard on the R/H pedal I felt the fluid escape & the pedal go all the way to the floor. When removing the reservoir cap the R/H side was completely empty & gurguling as if sucking the fluid down. We re-bled the system twice but now the fluid dissapears in a few short minutes. mht1 156 seems to have had a similar problem although provoked by adding brake fluid. jcb jeff gave a very comprehensive reply- maybe you aor anyone else has an answer? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Power Tan2020-04-19 11:27

    Check your rear diff oil level. If it is bypassing the piston seals it will add oil to the diff oil....Jim

  2. #2Ian BLACK2020-04-22 04:03

    Ok, thanks for that

  3. #3jcb jeff2020-04-22 10:59

    Also check the servo units if not the piston seals in axle gone

  4. #4Ian BLACK2020-05-02 05:42

    Hello, Yes, in fact it was the mastercylinders that were leaking & the servos were sucking the brake fluid from the reservoir to the servos. They were both full of brake fluid! I have replaced the two mastercylinders & washed out the servos. Everything seems fine- for the moment. Many thanks for your comment.