Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1550B “Priority Valve”….where is it?

Coytee ยท 2020-04-19 08:53

I've got intermittent steering on my 1550. Spoke with my "local" (90 miles) dealer and he said to check my priority valve first, then something else. The way I interpreted his description, I am expecting to open the hood and see it on the firewall. I poke my head in there (without removing the hoods) and all I can see is the filter canister. Situation: Drove machine to neighbors to get help removing stabilizers so I could rebuild them. On the way home, the steering started acting as though (your automobile) power steering belt was slipping. It would turn "fine" for 1/2 revolution, then hit a wall and become VERY difficult to turn. To the point that I slowed WAY down (I was on public 2-lane road and don't need to have steering lock in a curve and me go off road nor into oncoming lane!) Fortunately, my entire trip home, maybe 5-6 miles, I only saw a single other person on the road (was dark at night) and I was able to pull into lot to let them pass. Yesterday, fired machine up, went to far side of farm to ignite a burn pile that needs tended to. Drove over there , all is fine. Left machine idle while I started fire and once started I walked around tossing various limbs into it. Got back on machine and steering is now fighting me again. I can't have a (huge) fire going with no way to tend it so immediately fought machine so backhoe was near where I had started fire and put it out. Hobbled home, poked head under hood and can only see the filter assembly. The way I understand 2-3 hoses connect to this thing, it HAS to be large enough to see so I'm doing something wrong. Anyone know? Given description of problem, would this be first place to look? If so, since machine is 33 years old, should I just replace it without even looking into it?

Replies0

No replies yet.