Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bobcat s205 actuator error fix

bigboytoy ยท 2025-12-24 10:24

lift actuator is locking out controls .. removed and inspected actuator seems clean and functional, 2200 hrs on 2012 machine, understand the calibration voltage starting point center of 2v .. so I set that as close as I could with it inset at 5mm as instructed ... recalibrated computer sync, hand levers code 3225 verified it improved, it did not trip so easy, but it still tripped ... switched to foot controls same results .. should I remove actuator and set voltage to 1.9 or 2.1? ... is that a good approach for a machine with 2200 hrs ... any ideas would help, thanks

Replies12
  1. #1ozarkag2025-12-25 18:18

    Unfortunately actuator failure is pretty common. Isoscell can rebuild or supply new. Make sure to replace spool seals as well.

  2. #2bigboytoy2025-12-25 21:23

    I switch actuators got same error .. w3231 no matter what hand control or foot control I used.. same error 3225 it will not calibrate.. module error? Is next?

  3. #3ozarkag2025-12-25 22:52

    32-31 tilt actuator fault. W3225 calibration failure. Try just swapping wires, without swapping the actuators. Maybe you have a binding spool.

  4. #4bigboytoy2025-12-26 06:43

    ozarkag ..I did that ... the 3231 (tilt) code went to 3236 (lift) ... when I switched what handle control that spool .. it doesn't matter what actuator does the work ... help me out here ... does that indicate I need to take spool out and inspect? or just buy new ones

  5. #5ozarkag2025-12-26 08:53

    Yes, if logic while swapping proves the problem is with the valve itself, and not the actuator or wire/controller. Check for a broken centering spring on the back of the valve, or any binding occurring.

  6. #6bigboytoy2025-12-26 13:45

    the spring is NOT broken spool slides freely ... however there is a build up of a varnish substance on aux spool ... tilt spool seems normal moves smoothly spring is intact/complete... hmmm nothing wrong it appears .. this morning I ran normal 5 minutes without tripping still no calibrate 3225 code my guess is when it warms up it trips easier/quicker .. Im guessing it has to be the module? Also on another note the tilt uncurls fast and when it curls up its very slow ... it that a spool issue

  7. #7ozarkag2025-12-26 22:37

    Is it also weak, or does it leak down? If yes, possibly a cylinder issue, or less likely spool or valve issue. If it seems to have power, and doesn't drift, it is possibly related to the actuators issue.

  8. #8ozarkag2025-12-26 22:39

    I've had some luck slightly loosening the actuator bolts to calibrate. Seems they are sensitive to torquing unevenly and can bind.

  9. #9bigboytoy2025-12-27 06:23

    I did a dead head test on the aux port ... it was low 2000# .. maybe that is all that is wrong with weak up issue .. also its weak at idle higher rpm it is better..

  10. #10bigboytoy2025-12-27 06:29

    the spool cover is going back in, nothing abnormal there ... but will try this ... it conflicts the logic I found switching actuators told me. I did understand and execute a actuator calibrate on the bench. tilt was at 2.26 v when I took it out , I set it on 2.01 or so where is should be it was no help ..

  11. #11ozarkag2025-12-27 19:25

    Repeat the logic steps, swapping wires, then actuators. See if the problem stays with a spool, actuator, or wire/controller (same code always).

  12. #12bigboytoy2025-12-28 08:42

    swapped wires to actuators (what side controls what) code changed to other side ... swapped actuators code stayed the same .. logic states its a wire.control issue so I dig out the controller (a pain, had to cut the head of mounting bolt off) remove and reinstall controller ... BAM problem fixed ... it either reset or had loose connection? .. however it still will not calibrate code 3225 but it is working fine .. calibration fails in this case would probably be controller error ... if it does it again I will get the updated version of the ACS controller.. it runs normal for now , even the up tilt improved .. this is where I play baseball only 2 strikes your out .. thanks for help ozarkag