Hello, I just Bought this 2003 international bucket truck. It has the Allison 3000 automatic transmission. The problem I’m having is— the truck will not go into gear and the PTO will not engage properly. The shift/gear indicator will just blink the “D” or “R” when attempting to put the truck in drive or reverse. There are times when the truck is operating normally. But if the transmission doesn’t go into drive the pto will not engage. Also the other way around, if I park the truck at a job and go to turn the pto on and it doesn’t engage, the transmission will not go into gear. So I believe the problem is definitely tied together. yesterday I went out to start the truck just to let it run because it has been sitting for a little over a week because I haven’t been able to do any jobs because of the rain and soft yards. I started it and let it warm up for 10 minutes, I got in and engaged the pto and it worked. I disengaged it and put the truck in drive and it went into drive. This is normal for this truck, like I said it only acts up every now and then, not consistent and no patterns. I put the truck back in neutral and pulled the air brake switch. 5 minutes later I got back in the truck and went to move it and it wouldn’t go into gear, it just flashed the “D” symbol on the selector. Also the pto wouldn’t engage. Now for the most confusing part in my opinion. Every time the truck is acting up, I can still get the pto to engage and can still get it to go into gear. This may sound confusing because I just stated that it won’t go into gear but here’s how I can Get it to work. While the truck is acting up, I can Turn on the pto switch and then turn the key off and right back on. Just killing the motor for a split second, then the pto engages. Once the pto engages, I can Get the truck to go into drive or reverse. How? You may ask… with the pto engaged, then putting the truck in drive or reverse with the pto engaged it will go into drive or reverse. (If that makes sense) I have Looked over the wiring the best I could, found nothing. Truck has brand new batteries. The motor runs great. The transmission shifts through its gears fine while the truck is operating like normal. I do not have an Allison scanner but will take it to a shop in needed. I know that was a lot but I’d appreciate any help I can Get! Thank you for your time!
There is a glitch somewhere in the matrix! Is the PTO controlled by the Navistar installed switches or the PTO supplied control? If its using the Navistar Diamond logic switches I would start by getting a dealer to reflash the body module with the latest software. I have seen a few electronic glitches fixed with a reflash.
I will have to look into it. I’m not sure if it’s controlled by the Navistar. Would that probably also cause the transmission not to go into gear? Thanks!
On a 3116 w/ allison in a topkick, if the idle validation switch is out of adjustment, it won't go into gear. The Topkick has a plunger switch on the throttle lever underhood. It also doubles as the engine brake switch. Yours may be different, if the truck doesn't satisfy the idle parameters, it will do that. Could be an rpm sensor or even the alternator (tachometer output).
A couple things that are commonly programmed are for the PTO to work the park brake must be applied and if the PTO is engaged the body module is programmed to tell the transmission not to shift into gear. That is programmed through the Navistar Diamond Logic system. I used to work on bucket trucks and digger derricks. The transmissions would not shift into gear if the outriggers were not stowed.
I will look into that! Makes sense!!
I see. I’m a lineman and this is my personal truck. All of our trucks at work are that way, they will not go into gear while the pto is engaged. The only way this one will go into gear when it’s acting up is if the pto is engaged
What does the PTO Run? Get the body module reflashed before putting a bunch of effort and frustration and money into the problem.
The pto runs the outriggers and boom. It’s a bucket truck
I called international and the guy looked up the rpm sensor. He said it does not have one but it has a rotational speed sensor in the transmission. Could this be the problem?
There should be three speed sensors on the transmission. One for input speed one for turbine speed and one for output speed. If one fails you will have more problems than what you are having.
So you do not think it is that sensor? Also I’m waiting on a call back from the international shop foreman to discuss flashing the body control
No I highly doubt its a speed sensor. The truck has new batteries so I doubt there is a power supply issue.
Ok sounds good. I will send an update after I hear Back from the mechanic about flashing
Does a 2003 dt466 have a crankshaft and camshaft position sensor or just the camshaft position sensor?
I believe it only has a cam sensor. Can you post the last eight of the VIN
3H590321