Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 Cat 303 does not start?

Merc 63 ยท 2017-11-19 12:14

Hi everyone I have a 2004 303 cr that is stuck up in the woods of northern NY. The weather turned cold last week here, I went up to get the 303 out and bring it home and it would not start. It has been a high in the low 30's to a low in the teens most of the week. It turns over fine and I changed the glow plugs and checked to make sure there is power to glow plugs all is good there. I am getting fuel to the injector pump at the bleeder. Also pulled fuel line from top of nozzles and I am getting fuel to the nozzles but does not seem to have a lot of pressure to it? My question is, is it possible to have gotten water in pump and froze that has blocked fuel a little bit to the point I am not getting enough to cylinders? Or nozzles gone bad which I find hard to believe the all three would go bad at once. Does anyone know what my pressure is supposed to be coming out of injector pump to nozzles so if I can come up with a pressure gauge to check that issue i will know. Tuesday is supposed to get into the 40's so plan on going up then and I am also bringing heater up with me to see if i can warm up the injector pump along with some fuel treatment for water in fuel. Thank You

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2017-11-19 16:13

    That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works` (sorry, I love that line ) The fuel going to the nozzles doesn't have any pressure because the line is wide open, if you plug the line with a gauge the gauge will blow out. There won't be much fuel at the nozzle at all, just a tiny squirt. Hopefully with no air bubbles. Did you notice the exhaust when you were cranking it? Did it have any white vapor or fog? That's the unburned fuel so you know your injection system is working at least somewhat. Power to the glow plugs is halfway there. You need to check the amp draw, or at least check each one to see that they're not burned out. You can use an ohm meter/ multimeter, a continuity light, or run a hot wire and touch each glow plug terminal individually, with the wires disconnected so they're not all connected, and see if there's a little spark. Fuel treatment is a bad way to remove water from diesel, alcohol is not good. Once you get it running, drain the filter and some out of the bottom of the tank. If you find water, then drain a little every time you use it until you don't get anymore water. Then find out how it got there and fix it. You shouldn't have any trouble starting it in the 40's. IF there is ice, it won't melt just because it's 40, it still takes some time so it might be best to start in the afternoon and heat it up from there. Cetane boost might help, especially if the fuel is at all stale. How has this started in the past in the 40's or 50's?

  2. #2Merc 632017-11-20 09:52

    Hi Delmer Thank you for your reply yes there is white smoke from exhaust and that was my thinking that it must be getting some fuel. But is there a chance that it is not getting enough? The glow plugs are new just installed them and checked voltage to each (12volts). The machine has always started good even in the cold below freezing. It is suppose to be close to 50 tomorrow and i plan on bring up a small heater to try and warm up the engine. As winter gets near i use the winterizing (anti gel)treatment in my fuel at each fill up but i know that would not help with water and the fuel is fresh and full. I will do your suggesting and check for water at filter. I am trying to contact a diesel mechanic who live up near there. You put my mind at easy a little because a new injector pump is $1600 will not be happy until i get it started and home. I will keep you updated on my progress.

  3. #392U 34062017-11-20 10:33

    Does this engine have a 3 or 4 cylinder injection pump that bolts into the side of the engine, behind the front cover? If so, I have seen cases where the rack has gotten sticky or the shutoff solenoid gets stuck.

  4. #4Merc 632017-11-20 11:14

    Hi 92U 3406 It is a 3 cylinder I thought of the shut off solenoid not opening all the way. It is working I can see it working when i turn the key off but did not look at it closely. Tomorrow I will check it closer to see if it is opening all the way.

  5. #592U 34062017-11-20 12:04

    I would check that the rack in the pump moves freely too. You may be able to see it through where the shutoff solenoid screws in. It may just be gummed up and sticking a bit. I've had a couple do that on those small Cat engines. If you do end up pulling the pump out, there is a link from the governor to the fuel pump rack that is secured by a small hairpin or clip. It is very easy to lose and very easy to drop that clip inside the engine so be careful.

  6. #6Merc 632017-11-20 14:51

    Hi Delmer and 92U 3406 I just got of phone with the mechanic and with out seeing the machine he is leaning towards the 12 volt pump from tank to injector pump. he is suggesting bypassing that pump with a good one he has. Going to get a roll of gas line, some clamps, a inline filter and jumper wire. He said there should be 3-4 psi at that pump. That pump runs all the time when key is on and that he has found they are a common problem then tend to run but can not deliver enough volume. Will check your suggested first then that, also will be warming that engine up with the heater will doing everything else. Keeping my fingers crossed.

  7. #7Merc 632017-11-21 18:28

    Hi Delmer and 92U3406 just to give update. I got it started i did what Delmer said and turn it over alot until it finely fired. Must be water in fuel it was almost 50 today so that help. I am going to drain fuel tank and filter and separtator and start fresh. Thanks for your advices.