Changed fuel water separator 4 times. Changed fuel in tank, added diesel treatment. machine runs perfect at times- than bogs down and runs rough. Had this trouble for several months now. Sometimes cannot depress accelerator for fearing it might stall.
I had a problem with my 580k once that sounds somewhat similar. Sometimes when I opened it up, the engine would stall and surge. As it turned out, I had a poor connection at the fuel shut off solenoid and when the RPMs came up, air from the fan was interfering with that connection. I squeezed the connector together some, and the problem went away.
I don't know what kind of injection system they used in 2004, but that sounds like classic fuel line blockage. You're on the right track with the filter, that's the first thing to try. Was there any junk in the fuel or the bottom of the tank when you changed the fuel? Did you pull out the intake screen/pickup tube or whatever gets the fuel from the tank. After that screen, check any elbows or fittings in the line, including the transfer/lift pump if there is one. If there's a priming lever on the lift pump, I can copy the directions to tell if it's pumping right by hand, to tell where the blockage is.
Hi, thanks for trying to help... I first noticed that there was hesitation in the performance of the machine. so I thought to go to the filter which is the water separator as well. there was strange watery liquid in the bottom of the filter after I pulled it and dumped it into a pan. so, yes to your question of junk in the fuel. I have not yet pulled the intake from the fuel tank but did drain all fuel and replaced with new. didn't really notice much junk in tank though....I will try to remove lines from tank to pump as some more experienced people have suggested I just am reluctant to disturb lines which maybe I shouldn't touch...
this clogging may very well be the problem... just recently we ran the machine to less than 1/4 of tank and it did not run very well. we did fill the tank and it ran better. the machine does not get much use probably 1200 hrs thus far. maybe the fuel tank needs professional cleaning???/
There's a drain plug at the bottom of the fuel tank. Jack it up with the stabilizers to where the drain is at the low point let it set all night , next morning drain it slowly. This should rid any water in the tank.
Do this every day until you don't get a speck of dirt, then do it every other day. Rather, every time you start it up. It's in the manual right?
I would think once every 6 months would be sufficient but if you suggest more often , then that might be the way to go. But If I we gonna do it daily , I'd rig up a valve so as you won't have to unscrew the plug daily. Typical.
Check the pickup tube in the fuel tank as well.
intake hose bottom of your fuel tank could be restricted,,,i had a little piece of a rubber seal stuck could not tell until looked in the fuel line intake.
Thanks for all the help out there!!! replaced some of the 5/16 fuel line in and around the fuel pump and the transfer pump. noticed one line only with slight dry rot. no visible leaks. machine seems to be running good!! I will wait to see had only limited time to test. thanks again!!!