Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TL150 won’t start

BaileyES ยท 2015-02-05 06:01

Every once and a while, I turn the key and I would get nothing. I would cycle the key a couple times and it would finally start. Now I hear the relays clicking but the starter does not turnover. What do I start with to trouble shoot this? Where is the starter solenoid located, I could try jumping that. Looking for any suggestions

Replies7
  1. #1ericscher2015-02-05 21:21

    Try jump-starting it first. If that works the next question is; is the battery bad or just dead? ( Sometimes a battery can break internally in a way that creates an internal short. ) If it's bad, then you buy a new one. If it's dead, the question is why? Voltage leakage or charging problem. That's where I would start.

  2. #2Delmer2015-02-05 22:46

    The logical way it to make some test leads with clips and see where the voltage stops when you try to start it. Start at the starter, or the battery, and work your way to the other. The redneck logic way is to hit the starter with a broomstick or heavy screwdriver handle while somebody holds it in start. Then replace your starter if it works with the tapping. Solenoids are usually on the starter, but I've been wrong on Japanese machines before.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-02-06 00:33

    Most modern machines will have a relay somewhere between the key switch and the actual solenoid, and also many time rotating the key switch can cause one or more relays to open or close depending on the machine. There are also probably some safety interlocks, like a seat switch or safety bar switch. As ericsher suggested start with the battery and make sure you have good voltage and good connections, then find the starter and work your way back to the key switch.

  4. #4BaileyES2015-02-06 04:52

    The first thing that I did was to test and charge the battery. I have plenty of voltage and amperage available from the battery. Do you know where the starter solenoid is? Can I jump across the terminals?

  5. #5hookedondiesel2015-02-06 07:02

    If you can pull the ignition switch out, do so. With a test light, check for power on the connections of the switch, (key off). You should have one connection with battery voltage. Now turn key "on" (not start), and recheck for power, you should now have at least "two" connections with power. Turning the key to the "start" position will give you (or should give you) power to another connection,( the starter relay) feed. Keep testing this to check for an intermittent action. If this passes, then it's not your ignition.

  6. #6Delmer2015-02-06 08:47

    It's easy to find the solenoid and whatever other garbage you have, just follow the battery cable to the starter and see what's in between. To break down your issue a bit, you either have a bad/intermittent starter-solenoid, or you have a bad/intermittent "starter control circuit". If you put test leads on the starter then you can determine which you have with two attempts. or you can hope you pick the right one. You can do the same thing by jumping the terminals of the solenoid, but if you knew how to do that safely you wouldn't be asking, so use the test leads.

  7. #7hookedondiesel2015-02-06 09:02

    Please ensure your machine is in "Neutral" when playing around with your starter. Brakes applied, if you have them.