Hey guys Diggin Fool here. I was poking around the threads looking for help with my new toy. I have work to do but am going nowhere fast. Here are a few questions: What is the differenced between a Backhoe and a TLB? All factory stickers are gone due to a complete repaint and the previous owner could not advise. Is there another way to identify what my machine is ? I think it may be a 6500 series. Does anyone have pictures of a 1973-1975 6500 TLB that I could look at? My machine has a 4cyl. diesel, Engine casting number above oil pan reads: C7MN6015C7873 W/ A Clark Industries model 121HR28300 coupled to what looks like a Ford Bell Housing/Torque Converter w/ 3 position 1,2,3, gear selector Fwd Rev shuttle on column w/ dump valve on Right side of steering wheel. The Hoe has model number CB00007. Once I figure out what my machine is I will have more questions I'm sure. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Here are some pictures . I will take more as soon as it stops snowing.
TLB =Tractor Backhoe Loader Here are some pictures of my 6500. The 6500 and 7500 look a lot alike, I am told. One big difference is the hydraulic pump.
more pictures
Hydraulic,transmission, and steering all use the same fluids.
Thank you for the response with pictures. I am new to this technology. Everything takes me longer than it should. I have been busy with other things and the cold temperatures and snow slows me down. I will attempt better pictures when the weather turns a bit warmer. Your machine looks an awful lot like mine does. Its about 11 degrees, the wood stove is lit, I am in for a bowl of soup.Stand by.
I need to have a better understanding of the dump valve and what it does. I don't think mine works. The cable is stuck. I have to replace the brake rod actuator seals as soon as the weather warms up. They don.t look to hard to do. Do you still have your 6500?
reply I have never used the dump valve on mine. The cable is busted up on it. I have some books on my machine so I will try to learn something about it. I tried to get pictures of identifying points on the tractor, but can't get it into a position or stance like yours as the pump is out right now. They are hard to find. When you get warm enough to remove a floor board and read the numbers on top of your pump, it will help me. Stay warm.
I will get you a number off the pump just as soon as it quits snowing. We are getting another foot of snow today . Its currently 11degrees. Time to hunker down for another 12 hours then dig out......again.
Would really appreciate the number, thanks. here is what I have on the dump valve. Hope it helps.
No doubt in my mind, what you have is a 6500 Ford TLB. You look at the places marked with look here and see the differences. The 7500 engine is supercharged also. Hope this helps.
I've had my '73 5550 for 26 years, and out on the left coast I've never seen a 4 digit Ford except for my beast and the 5500. TLB's were 550 and 555. 650 and 655, 750 and 755. First time I saw a 4500 was on this forum. Was there a different line of TLB's sold back east and the Midwest? One's that have the roller chain and two cylinders to swing the boom? The 6500 in this thread has that, and the 4500 do too. Seems all the peeps that have a 4500 were back east...
It seems that most of the big hoes were up North and in Canada.There are not many old Fords here in S.C. An old story is that a salvager went around and bought every old Ford he could find, sometime early in the century. This 6500 is a real horse when it is running. Just having a hard time finding a Hydraulic pump. The Ford dealer told me that it is considered the dozer of backhoes.
Diggin Fool dug is diggin in an getn it done Well it was 22degrees today with wind chill that made it feel below ZERO. But it was dry and sunny. I decided to pull the covers on the Ford and here is what I found: TWO STAMPED Numbers on the pump cover: 873 and 00NN 600 0. I Have a Ford Service Manual printed 10/73 that only identifies it as a Hydraulic Pump. I believe I do have a 6500 but still don't know if its considered TLB or Industrial or if it even matters. Thank you for all the help. I hope that these numbers are of some value. Let me know if you need anything else. All good in Maine..
I see the differences as indicated. What is that thing hanging off the left front quarter. I need the tires off this machine in the picture. Could you email those to me? ha ha,..... I posted those pump numbers for you somewhere on here.
That would be the hydraulic filter. The air filter inlet is left front thru the hood on 6500, and out of right rear side panel on 750
Keep this handy. Pump is right hand or clockwise rotation, 7/8 splined shaft with 13 splines. SAE B 2 bolt mount on 4 inch hub(raised area around splined shaft of pump.)
Tried to send this as e-mail and it didn't work. So here it is and hope it helps. That closes the deal that what you have is a 6500. It was built in August 1973. That pump # would be hard to read as they sometimes leaned the stamp too much. However, it is DONN600C. Original factory pump, and the only hydraulic pump on the tractor, except for the power steering. 7500 hydralic filter was on the left front frame, and 6500 was mounted on the hydraulic tank at the rear of the hood on left side. TLB only means Tractor Loader Backhoe. Being Yellow tells us it is industrial. I truly appreciate all the effort you made to get that for me. Here to help anytime' [email protected] You can get a tractor data sheet at tractordata.com
Wow that's great news to know what I am driving. I am also pleased to know that the pump info helped you. Now for the not so good news. As you may be aware I purchased this beast a month or so ago when it was very cold and snowy. The seller with his toothy grin assured me that this machine was ready to work with no serious issues. My questions and concerns about machine were met with satisfactory answers. I plunk down the payment and head down the road. I get it home and park it .THEN we get hammered with SNOW for the next 55 days. The floorboards were covered with snow the day I bought it. I did not realize there were two dipsticks buried beneath the snow covered platform. I pulled the dipsticks for the first time today. Both sticks showed no sign of oil. I dump a $75.00 bucket of oil in the holes and held my breath. I filled Both OIL wells. The trans reads full and the rear diff reads at the very bottom of the stick. I did not have any more oil available to finish filling the rear diff so I started it anyway and watched for leaks. As soon as it warmed up it leaked from some place beneath my feet. It almost seemed to pulse a stream from the small hole in the square pan. When I pulled the floorboards I discovered that the brake rods were at the end of adjustment and the rods had been bent to get the last out of the brakes. The parking brake cable is frozen. The actuator rod seal on the left (driver) side is leaking fluid as well. At this point I had seen enough for one day and called it quits. Not sure where this is headed but stay tuned ....momma said there would be days like this.
OOOPS Huge Mistake! Please Disregard this statement in my previous post. "As soon as it warmed up it leaked from some place beneath my feet. It almost seemed to pulse a stream from the small hole in the square pan." I would have edited that but did not catch it in time. First of all let me clarify that there is not an inspection hole in a square pan on this machine. I did not crawl under the machine that day. I only saw a wet sump cover and heavy oil leak from a distance that was too far away to see what was really going on. I have since determined that the oil is coming from the steering pump located on the steering column. I don't know where I am headed with this problem. If any of you have had a steering pump problem like this in a Ford Backhoe please enlighten me. Thank you. I guess the right thing to do is start a new thread on this????